Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

my 8 year old cat has had fleas for a few wks, Ive finally

my 8 year old cat has had fleas for a few wks, I've finally had the $$ to get Frontline Plus..today I applied it and noticed he has a small "prick" on his left shoulder and the fur has been licked to the point of exposing it. He seems content but definitely not as active and curious as he's always been...kind of sad-seeming actually.
The spot does not seem to cause him pain when I felt around it but did foam ip a it when I dabbed peroxide on it. Hopefully when the fleas clear up this will go away too..?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Mary and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Monkey today.

I'm very glad to hear that you were finally able to get the Frontline and apply it so Monkey will no longer be bothered by fleas. In addition to the topical monthly flea treatment, it is also necessary that you eradicate fleas, flea eggs and larvae from your home. Fleas can lay dormant in furniture, carpet, etc. for quite a long time and then when the atmospheric conditions (warmth and humidity) are right, they will emerge. The best way to stay on top of this is to do the following: vacuum all carpets/rugs and hard floors thoroughly; also vacuum upholstered furniture and dispose of the vacuum bag outside of the house, immediately. Take all toys made of material, cat beds and any other items that are not washable, and throw them away. Linens and bedding that are washable should be laundered in hot water with detergent.

It is always best to hire a professional to treat your home and areas outside your home (if applicable) to know that a complete job has been done and this, in combination with the Frontline will help eradicate the fleas entirely within a relatively short period of time.

Fleabusters is a great company that I have used personally and their method is very simple and non-messy. They bring a machine that looks like a vacuum, except it does the opposite of a vacuum--instead of sucking up dirt, it pushes a white, borate based powder deep into the carpet and this dehydrates the adult fleas, larvae and eggs. All you have to do is cover your furniture with a sheet or towel and not vacuum for a specified amount of time. Here is a link to Fleabusters, so you can see what they're all about: Fleabusters

Another way to get fleas out of the house and yard is to use food grade diatomaceous earth. Here is more information: Diatomaceous Earth
You can find this in any plant nursery, garden shop of a store that sells gardening equipment, etc. It's a natural and less expensive way to get rid of fleas in your environment.

The slight puncture wound you found on Monkey's shoulder could have been a flea bite that became more sore as he bothered it, if it itched and/or was painful, and should be evaluated by a vet, especially since you mentioned he seemed sad and not like himself. Older cats are more prone to develop certain medical conditions and blood work once or twice a year is always a good idea to catch something early on, if a condition is present.

If he goes outside, Monkey could have tangled with another cat or 'critter', gotten a scratch from something sharp, or this could even be an insect or spider bite.

If you need some help paying for the vet visit, these two animal hospitals offer a coupon for a free first exam:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

http://www.banfield.com/landing/index.html

You might also want to apply for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:
Care Credit

This is a list of organizations that might help pay for vet visits:
http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care

Continue to keep an eye on this spot on Monkey's shoulder and since hydrogen peroxide can be damaging to tissue, try keeping it clean with either some diluted betadine scrub (to the color of light tea) or mild soap and water, then rinse well and dry. When dry, apply a thin layer of regular Neosporin antibiotic ointment or cream.

I hope all will be well with Monkey and you're able to have him seen by the vet to check on this puncture wound on his shoulder.

Simply reply back before rating if you require additional information or clarification and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you wish to request me to answer future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Best wishes to you and Monkey!
Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience