Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

How long would a reaction like this last? Is there anything

How long would a reaction like this last? Is there anything I can give him to help him feel better like baby aspirin? Taking him in the carrier to the vet stresses him out so bad I really don't want to do that to him but should he be seen now?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm not sure what reaction your cat is having. What signs is he showing? How long have they been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Gary.

Fabio is acting very lethargic, doesn't want to play or be touched, just wants to lie and sleep. He has little energy and even walks slow as if he is in pain. This has been happening since Saturday evening. He had his vaccination Saturday morning.
He is still eating a slight bit but not much.

Ok, thanks. It does sound like a vaccine reaction. These can last 3-5 days in some cats. Typically the signs resolve over 2-3 days. We can see fevers, lethargy, joint pain and GI upset.

If you want to give him something to blunt the immune response, you can pick up some over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) and give him 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours as needed.

Aspirin is ok to use once as well. You can give a dose of 5 mg per lb every 2-3 days as needed.

I would also try to feed a canned food that is fishy flavored to stimulate his appetite and continue to get fluids in him.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much

You're very welcome.