Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have two cats. One of them is defecating a little outside

I have two cats. One of them is defecating a little outside the box. Most of it is in the box except for a piece or two. She also isn't covering the waste inside the box. The litter is scooped daily, I haven't changed brands (although I suspect Tidy Cat has changed their formula), the litter is deep enough and I have 4 boxes. What could be causing this
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry Alice is experiencing this problem.

It may be possible that if Tidy Cat has changed their formula, there's something about it she doesn't like, for example, the texture, scent, etc.

She may not be making it to the litterbox in time and that's why there is a little outside the box, or she may be standing at the wrong angle. Not covering may indicate she doesn't like the new litter formulation and can't wait to get out of the box, or although she's young for it, it's possible she's developing arthritis and covering is painful.

Some cats never cover, but cats that always have and then stop, may indicate there's a physical problem. It would be a good next step to have Alice checked over by her vet and also, bring a fresh fecal sample for analysis with you to the office, to expedite things.

Having 4 boxes for your two cats is wonderful! I'm also glad you're trying to give her more attention, praising her and giving treats.

Try changing to a different litter and see if that makes a difference. If Alice's vet exam is unremarkable, when you see her doing her business, before she leaves the box, gently take her front paw and scratch at the litter to help her cover/remind her what needs to be done.

Also, clean the area outside the box where she leaves some of her deposit with an enzyme based cleaner for pet messes. Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor and Urine Off are all well recommended products sold in pet supply stores and other stores like Walmart.
You'll want to completely eradicate the smell so she doesn't think it's an apprpriate place to elmiinate and so that your other kitty doesn't soil there.

I hope all will be well with Alice!

Simply reply back before rating if you require additional information or clarification and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you wish to request me to answer future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think she is having a hard time making it to the box it seems as though she begins inside the box leaving the last piece out-only once was there an entire elimination on the floor-no where near any of the boxes. I am having financial problems and taking her to the vet would be a burden, should I worm her myself ? If so should I worm my other cat also ?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

You can buy an over the counter wormer and use it for Alice and her companion. Just make sure it contains Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate, as that should cover most types of intestinal parasites. However, even if they are indoor- only kitties, you can also get Revolution from your vet, which is applied topically as a flea preventative but also treats intestinal parasites, ear mites, and heartworm.

The following vet offices provide a coupon for a free first visit, so you might want to use them for Alice if finances are tight right now:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

http://www.banfield.com/landing/index.html

You might also want to apply for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:
Care Credit

This is a list of organizations that might help pay for vet visits:
http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care

If Alice isn't showing any pain or other unusual symptoms it should be alright to wait a short while for a vet visit; however, if you see any worsening of her litterbox problem or symptoms of discomfort/pain, do your best to have her seen in person.

I hope she will be fine!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alice. How is everything going?

Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your concern. After much research, I've come to believe she no longer likes her litter. I've always used Tidy Cat (that's the kind her "brother" Angelo likes) but I've noticed changes in the litter quality. I researched it online and have found many other owners complaining about the same thing-including sneezing and I just thought I needed to change the a/c filter more often. So I have to try a different litter and see what happens. Thank you for caring.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for the update on Alice and your conclusion that the litter may be the root of the problem. Other clients have complained that Tidy Cats recently changed their formulation, so this might very well be the problem, as you suspected. Try another quality litter (unscented) and see how she does. You may have to do a 'trial and error' test on a few brands before you find one she likes.

Best regards,
Cher