Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My male cat has lost some of the hair on the inside of one

My male cat has lost some of the hair on the inside of one of his front legs. It does not seem to be causing him any pain, but the patch is about 1 inch wide by 3 inches long. A little bit of it looks scabby, but that's only a small part. He does not seem to mind if you touch the area or mess with it, but it's been this way for about a month.
Hello, David and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm so sorry to hear that Maverick is experiencing this problem.

From your description, there's a possibility this could be ringworm, a fungal skin infection. Here is some additional information: Ringworm

It will need to be definitely diagnosed by the vet with a special light and in person exam, and if this is the diagnosis, Maverick will be treated with an appropriate anti-fungal medication.

Ringworm is contagious to humans, so be careful when you are in contact with him and wash your hands after touching this area (or better yet, don't touch it at all).

Other possibilities include an allergic reaction to something he was in contact with or a component in his food (sometimes, the manufacturer changes the formulation without your knowledge) and for this, the vet will prescribe an appropriate antihistamine or other topical treatment and suggest a diet change.

I hope all will be well with Maverick!

Simply reply back before rating if you require additional information or clarification and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you wish to request me to answer future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. We have 4 cats, and none of them have showed any ringworm symptoms, and they are in contact quite a bit. We feed him a really high quality grain free food called "spot's stew", but I will see if they have changed the formulation. We are leaving for a week's vacation in 2 days. Is it ok to wait to take him to the vet until we get back? Like I said, he has had this for about a month and it does not seem to be spreading or causing him any pain or discomfort. I'll take him to the vet as soon as we get back, I just want to know if this is urgent enough that i should try and get an appointment with the vet tomorrow.
Hi again, David and you're most welcome!

I'm so glad to hear that you feed all your kitties Spot's Stew. That's by Halo, right? Yes, good quality food and grain-free is best! Laughing

If you haven't seen anything spreading from this area, and it's not hurting or itching him, it should be alright to wait until you return from vacation; however, advise your pet sitter to check it (without touching) and if it seems to worsen, any of the other cats show symptoms and/or Maverick seems to be in pain or show any unusual symptoms, then he can be brought to his vet at that time. Of course, you'll be leaving all instructions for the pet sitter, including your vet's phone number, 'just in case', but I think everything should be fine until you return.

Enjoy your vacation!

Best regards,
Cher
Thanks very much for your positive rating, David, and I'll check back with you to see how Maverick is doing.

Best wishes,
Cher
Hi again, David.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going with Maverick.

If you need any additional information or have further concerns, please don't hesitate to ask me by clicking on 'Reply to Expert', and I will answer as soon as possible.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of help to you and your furry boy and thank you for entrusting your question to me and Just Answer!

Best wishes,
Cher