Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Doctor I tried to post a question

Customer Question

Doctor I tried to post a question for you about this prescription for my 15 year old cat that is
Lactulose. Did you get it? His stools are still hard and I can see hair in them.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

It sounds like he may have aspirated/ inhaled a little of the lactulose leading to the airway irritation and coughing. This can happen at times when giving liquid meds to cats.

You can continue to give the Lactulose. If it's still irritating, you can dilute it down with some water and see if that helps him swallow it a bit easier. If he doesn't tolerate Lactulose, then I would go to a pet store and pick up some Laxatone. This is a commercial laxative for cats that is often fish flavored to make it easier to give.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ho Doctor,
So do you think he will be okay? He seems perfectly fine now.
I just lost my other cat that was his mate for 15 years and I am trying to everything in my power to help him stay healthy and live as long as possible I love him much and don't want anything to happen to him.
Is it okay to feed him deli turkey he really likes it? He normally doesn't like people food but today he wanted it.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, he should be fine. I wouldn't be worried.

You can give him some turkey. I would just stay away from food high in fat like pork products.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will turkey constipate him more? Or could that help with his fluids any?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
No, that won't constipate him.

The best thing for constipation is more fluids. Dehydration alone is a common underlying cause of constipation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes doctor I know about the fluids but how can I get more into him? He is 15 years old and he has never really liked water.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You can feed him a canned diet and add extra water to it. You could get a circulating water fountain- some cats will be enticed to drink with moving water. You can also syringe water to him if you need to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor, I put water in his can food daily and I have tried the water fountain he runs from it and won't go near it.
I haven't tried given him water in a syringe but after today I am a little afraid of that happening again I don;t want anything happening to him and it being caused by me.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you're doing all you can. The only other option is to give sub Q fluids (under his skin) as needed at home to get fluids in. That is something you would talk to your vet about and get the fluids, lines and needles from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed he has everyday in his cat box one or two good size urine balls clumped up in there. Do you think that is enough?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
That is a little low. Most cats will urinate 3-4 times daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold on doctor let me go look and see what he has done today I haven't scooped anything since last night.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay he had two pretty large clumps of urine and one hard stool with hair in it.
They were the size of medium orange.
He keeps begging me for temptation treats
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like pretty normal movements and activity. I think he'll be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been on a WD hard food diet for a while and they just told me to give him only canned WD food well he doesn't like it so I have to mix it up with like one day taste of the wild, the next friskies and turkey gravy, today I mixed WD hard with
taste of the wild and some warm water he really liked that.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that wait.

W/D is high in fiber, so it can lead to some more firm stools. A half and half diet with something canned is not a bad idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor,
Is the WD hard food full of fiber or only the soft WD can?
Maybe I should try a little psyllium husk in his food again. How much would be okay for a can of food to put a little fiber in it?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
W/D comes in dry and canned.

If you want to add some fiber, I'd add 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin as a fiber source.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Topcats seems to having a bowel movement periodically with the help of the prescription lactulose given to him but it is still hard. Can I bump it up to a 1 table spoon twice a day just to get it all out of him and make it a little softer? I have been giving him a teaspoon daily.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can go up to 1 tablespoon and see if that helps make the bowel movements more regular. That won't hurt him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor I have been giving him half a tablespoon at least 1 maybe two times a day in food I noticed he had one small hard piece small. Yesterday he had a good bowel movement but it was hard and all of them u can see has hair in them
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it's good that they're still moving. You can up it to 3 times daily or 1 tablespoon twice daily. That may help make them a bit softer and easier to pass. The hair is ok, it's better that it's coming out as opposed to getting stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok doctor that is what I was hoping I don't want him blocked he is long hair and he is old. So is it safe to do 3 tablespoons a day if needed just until its normal not hard?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we basically dose it "to effect."

If you notice he's acting spacey and neurologic, then you just need to back down on the dose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it twice a day first and see what happens. I will be leaving tomorrow until Thursday evening so I will have to leave WD hard food out as well and a few cans of cat food but I will put olive oil in his hard food.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
That would be good. The oil will help keep things moving. Nice work with him- it sounds like you're managing it very well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying doctor he will be 16 years old next month I am trying to keep him healthy. I can tell he still misses his mate that just past away he grew up with from the age of two weeks old. But he is doing well still happy playing eating well and purring and very lovable. I wish he would drink water but he just doesn't no matter what I do. I live him so very much I am trying to keep him alive as long. I can.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure he does miss the house-mate. It's quite amazing how we can see signs of depression in cats after this type of loss. It sounds like you're doing great with him and he has a very good quality of life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to be doing really well. He likes his cat nip. He really stays by my side when I am home on my desk while I am working laying right by me and sleeps with me. But I have to start working out town again so he will be alone for a couple of days. Do u think he will be okay? Before it use to be both of them. He keeps eating plastic and throws it up with hair balls. He is strictly a indoor cat never goes outside never.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
He should be ok for a couple days at a time. It'll be an adjustment, but he should get used to it. Cats are very solitary animals by nature, so they adapt well to being on their own well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does he keep eating plastic he has done that since he was a kitten and throws it up with hair balls?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Many cats will be attracted to plastic. We don't know why they do it, but it's a pretty common cat thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well between the olive oil and lactulose I think he will keep him flushed out I hope.Thank you for your time tonight I know it must very late where u are. Topcat is sleeping on me right now and I noticed he keeps jumping in his sleep he never does that is he dreaming or something ?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he's just dreaming.

Yes, it's 5 am here in Michigan. Just finishing up a long holiday weekend shift. The fun of working in the ER!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh my doctor you have been up all night.
It's 2:15 am here and I haven't gone to bed yet. I better be going thank you again for your help doctor. Have a good Memorial Day.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. Have a great holiday yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor,

My 15 year old cat seems to be doing better with his bowels now.

But I have been giving him more of his temptation treats then normal because he begs me for them. He eats WD some hard food and a can of soft food and he never hardly drinks water if you remember I told you that before. BUT lately since I have been giving him temptation treats I am noticing him drinking water more. Do you think there may be a problem on coming or just the treats making him thirsty? I use to give him treats all the time and never notice him at the water bowl like I do now. Other then that he acts normal has a good appetite.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I think the treats are high in salt and that causes the increased thirst.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is gbe salt going to be bad for him? Heoves temptations for some reason.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
No, they'll just make him drink more is all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So he won't be getting to much salt then? Because until now he wasn't drinking any water. So if the salt won't hurt him them I will keep feeding him the temptation treats. The vet said he wanted him to lose weight and no more treats for him but he has lost a couple of pounds I think he is a Maine coon and he weighed 14 pounds a few months back. But he lost two pounds and he likes his treats he is still very active and jumps an play and seems to be Healthy he is still is drooling some though. I think he might have a bad tooth. I am going to take him in the end of the month and have them look at it.

Doctor if he needs it pulled I will ask them to clean his teeth if they have to pull it BUT while he is asleep can they draw his blood just to do like a senior panel on him while he is a sleep? I DO NOT WANT HIM AWAKE I HAD A MOBILE VET COME AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT SHE WAS DOING AND SHE HAD ME HOLD HIM AND SHE KEPT POKING HIM AND SHE COULDN'T DO IT AND SAID HIS SKIN IS TOUGH I SAID FORGET IT YOU ARE HURTING HIM. So tell me doctor can they do a body scan and draw blood while they do his teeth? I do not want him awake and hurt at all. He is old and I don't want him in any pain. Another thing he started doing since his litter mate passed away a month or so ago, when i am petting him and kissing him when I stop he takes his paws and trys to pull my hand back and then trys to bit me. Why does he do this? Is it because he wants me to pet him more?