Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have been training my two cats to use the toilet for the

I have been training my two cats to use the toilet for the past few months. Chloe got the hang of it from day 1 and she's been doing great for the past few months. However, it's been hard for the other cat, Cleo, to learn to go to the toilet. Now that Cleo finally learned to go to the toilet, Chloe started going to the carpet. it's like a flip flop.... Is it that they don't like to share the toilet? but they're fine sharing the litter.... how do i solve this issue?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello A, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I see you posted your question much earlier today and your patience is greatly appreciated! Your question was just moved to this category, where I could answer it.

I'm so glad both your kitties finally got the hang of it and are using the toilet! However, if Chloe is back-tracking, it's very possible, as you suspect, that she doesn't like sharing the toilet with her 'sister' as it's much different than sharing a litterbox. The rule of thumb is typically 1 box per cat, plus one, so you should have two litterboxes, if you have the room.

If at all possible, can you put a second kitty toilet set up on another toilet in the house, so they don't have to share? Then you will see if Chloe goes back to her good habits.

In addition, whenever a cat soils outside the designated area (toilet/litterbox), a vet visit is always a good idea to make sure there is no underlying medical condition causing this sudden inappropriate elimination, such as a urinary tract infection, crystals, bladder stones, constipation, or another intestinal problem, which may be causing discomfort upon elimination.

Make sure to clean the areas she's soiled with an enzyme cleaner made for pet messes. This will completely remove the stain/odor, and prevent her from going back tot he same place if the scent is removed. Some well recommended brands are Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, and Urine Off. They are available in pet supply stores and other stores like Target, Walmart, etc. Some home improvement stores may also carry them.

Is it possible that Chloe had a mishap (slipped, fell, was startled by a loud noise) while using the toilet and this scared her, so she stopped using it? That might be a consideration, too.

As soon as you have her cleared by the vet (ask them to do bloodwork and a urinalysis/fecal analysis), try to start the toilet training all over again, from stage one, and hopefully she will resume her good habits.

I wish you much good luck with both your kitties and I applaud you for training them successfully to use the toilet!

Please let me know if you need any additional information or have other concerns by clicking "Reply" before rating. Thanks.

Please rate positively and provide positive feedback so I may be credited for my answer by the site. Thank you! We can still communicate and follow up after you rate; that will not cut off our communication.

If you wish to request me by name in the future, simply begin your post with "For Cher" and I will answer asap. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
having a second set is not an option for me. I did already washed the carpet with all the cleaners available in the market, Rug Doctor, and the Bissel carpet clearner thats specifically made for pet messes. With all that, Chloe still goes to the same spot. I got Chloe checked and she's 100% fine. The toilet is always cleaned after every mess they make. so it's obvious that it's a sharing issue... So:

1- How do I get them to share?
2- How do I get Chloe to not go on the carpet again?

I tried the aluminum foil and didn't work either.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, A and thanks for your helpful reply.

I'm glad you already got Chloe checked out and she's fine!

Yes, the Bissel Spotbot works wonders on pet messes; I know this from personal experience.

If the aluminum foil didn't work, try placing a litterbox over that area. If that doesn't help, place a heavy duty plastic 'runner' over the area with the spikey side up. She will not want to walk or scratch on that material, to eliminate. Also, get a cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway which comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser. It helps with inappropriate elimination and also helps to calm cats if they're stressed. After cleaning the area thoroughly, spray it with Feliway, but don't let the cats near it until it's completely dry--about 20 minutes. This will help her think she's already 'marked' there. Here is more information about Feliway, which is available in all pet supply stores and online:
Feliway

Most cats will eliminate (urinate, at least) after eating, so if you're home, try placing Chloe on the toilet after eating and see if she'll go; if she doesn't, try about 10 minutes later and every ten minutes after that. Speak to her gently and remind her what she's there to do; repeat steps you took when you first trained her. Try to keep Cleo away from the toilet at those times, unless she really has to go.....you don't want her to have an accident.

Please let me know how it goes after you try these suggestions. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm afraid of is that if I put plastic runner or the Feliway product in the area then she goes somewhere else like the living room or couch, etc... About the litter box, why should I put a litter box in the area when the purpose is to teach her to do it in the toilet? because if I put a litter box, she's just gonna keep going to it.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, A.

My apologies. The site has been having technical problems recently, and I am not receiving notifications of your replies. I am certainly not ignoring you! : )

I understand what your ultimate goal is, re: getting her to use the toilet again, and not use the litterbox, but for the moment, if she's had a momentary lapse, it would be better if she used the litterbox and not the carpet. If she is using the litterbox, you can begin the toilet training again, when you feel she's ready. I can't think of any reason why she would suddenly decide she didn't want to 'share' with her sister, after they had been doing so well and she finally 'got it'.

That's the only thing I can think of to advise you right now. To save your carpet, start using the litterbox again and then start re-training her for the toilet and take it one step at a time.

I feel badly that I'm out of ideas for the moment; I recommended everything I could think of. I can opt out of your question so other experts can give their opinions if you like. Just let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you trying. last question is if i put a litter box, wouldnt that make the other cat "cleo" go to it as well?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, A.

It's my pleasure to keep trying for you and your two girls and your positive rating is sincerely appreciated!

There is a possibility that Cleo might go in the litterbox, but try to keep encouraging her every time she uses the toilet so she continues doing that. It might be confusing for her, but try your best to remind her that she goes in the toilet, now. Give cat-healthy treats when she goes in the toilet, so she looks forward to it. Continue your toilet training for Chloe as well, and she might surprise you and go back to it.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi A,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe And Cleo. How is everything going?

Cher