Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

MY cat has lost a lot of weight in about one week. She is just

MY cat has lost a lot of weight in about one week. She is just bones. She can't seem to swallow her dry food, she is unbalanced when walking and she moves her mouth but no meow comes out. She is an outdoor cat that wandered up 10 years ago. She never let me touch her but today I picked her up and have her soft food. She ate a little. I'm wondering if she is dying. I have never had a cat and don't know what to look for or what to do to help her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Gina and welcome to Just Answer.

I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is acting ill and losing weight.

Older cats are more prone to develop various medical conditions which can cause the symptoms you're describing; for example, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues. Here is more information for you to read: Senior Cats

If she spends time outdoors, she might have gotten into a toxic substance or ingested a non-food item. Also, if she can't walk straight, this may be due to weakness or a specific condition affecting her, but it may also be a symptom of Vestibular Disease, a neurological condition that causes dizziness, nausea, and walking like a drunkard. In addition, ingestion of antifreeze can cause the same symptoms of walking like a drunkard and causes kidney failure. Vestibular Disease

Antifreeze poisoning

Offering her the soft food and water was a great move on your part, but there is no doubt that she needs to be evaluated and treated by a vet immediately. Blood work may be necessary to make a diagnosis and then the vet will know how to treat her most appropriately.

If your regular vet doesn't have emergency hours and is closed now, bring her to the nearest ER vet center for assessment and treatment.

I hope all will be well with your Kitty!

Please let me know if you have any other questions by clicking "Reply" before rating and we can continue our conversation.

If you found my answer helpful, please rate positively and leave positive feedback, as that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitty. How is everything going?

Cher