Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 1 yo male neutered cat has had a bad UTI for over a month.

My 1 yo male neutered cat has had a bad UTI for over a month. First, he was prescribed Amoxiclav and was given a special diet and antibiotic injection. He stopped eating and drinking, and after another trip to the vet, he is on Orbax suspension. Over a week later, he is still straining to urinate, urinating blood in small amounts, urinating outside of the litterbox and howling when he tries to go. His appetite has returned, but he is still not eating or drinking nearly as much as he used to. My vet insists that "these things take time", but that doesn't sit well with me if he is clearly in a lot of pain. Is there anything more that I can do, or is there pain medication that I can safely give him with Orbax?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

I am sorry to hear that Hermes is having these problems and is so uncomfortable.

Dr Z :

Has your vet run a bacterial culture on his urine to see what bacteria are present if any and if the Orbax is the correct antibiotic for the job?

Customer:

No, he has not.

Dr Z :

Have they discussed xrays or ultrasound testing to look for bladder stones

Dr Z :

Is the diet that you are feeding canned or dry food?

Customer:

No, but my vet said that he wasn't blocked and he manually checked him on two different occasions. The prescribed food is dry, but I gave him wet food to coax him into eating again. (almost a week ago).

Dr Z :

It is good that he isn't blocked. In a male cat, that is one of the biggest worries. In a cat this young, there is a very good chance that he does not have a bacterial infection (less than 5 % chance) so it doesn't matter what antibiotic is used, his signs will not improve.

Dr Z :

Did they even check a urine sample to look for evidence of blood or inflammation or any other abnormalities in his urine?

Customer:

That's what my research has lead me to believe, but my vet insists on this antibiotic regimen. And no tests of that nature have been conducted. I'm getting the feeling that I should see a different vet. (Although the blood in his urine is quite obvious, since he urinates in his white cat bed where his urine turns up bright orange--unless this is a side effect of Orbax)

Dr Z :

I would start with a urinalysis (if not done) and have the urine cultured for bacteria. If it is negative, there is absolutely no reason to keep him on any antibiotic, especially since it seems to have decreased his appetite (this is very common).

Dr Z :

If there is blood present that can be seen grossly(should not be from the Orbax), that is persisting for this long, he should have either an xray or ultrasound to rule out the presence or bladder stones and or tumors (not likely in a young cat).

Customer:

I will take him to a different vet tomorrow to have this done. Are urinalyses typically done by extracting urine straight from the cat (via needle), or will I be sent back home to collect urine on my own and bring it back later? Also, are there any pain meds that I can give him in the mean time, or anything that I can do to make him more comfortable?

Dr Z :

If the culture and the xray fail to diagnose a problem, there is a very good chance he is dealing with the condition called feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC).

Dr Z :

If they are going to culture the urine, it has to be collected straight from his bladder so try to take him with a full bladder.

Dr Z :

Here is a link that discussed FIC in much more detail.

Dr Z :

LINK HERE

Dr Z :

Unfortunately, there is not an over the counter medication that is safe to use in cats. In fact, we are really somewhat limited in our prescription choices that can be given orally as well.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX visited this site in my manic research. I guess it seems that my only option is to start from square one. Thank you for your help. Any last minute advise?

Dr Z :

About all you can do until he is seen is to encourage increased water intake as much as possible so as to dilute the urine in his bladder.

Dr Z :

You definitely need a new vet! It is crazy to continue with a new antibiotic if the first had no effect. I don't even put them on AB's at all unless a culture states I need it because most of them do not.

Dr Z :

Don't be afraid to ask questions about their diagnostic plan and treatment.

Dr Z :

Good luck.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Dr Z :

Please keep me posted as to his progress.

Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus! It is truly appreciated.

I hope you are able to get some relief for Hermes soon.