Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cat is 10 years old. She hasnt eaten (except a little liquid

My cat is 10 years old. She hasn't eaten (except a little liquid from the can food) or drinken in about 6 days. When I squished dead a little black and the other day, that might have been poisoned, she quickly licked that area on the floor with enjoyement. I don't really have a the money to take her to the vet. What should I do. She has lost a lot of weight and just looks like a skelaton covered in fur.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Unfortunately, this is not going to be easy to find out what's going on or to treat from home. She really does need some diagnostics (bloodwork) and aggressive treatment with IV fluids and potentially a feeding to placed.

I don't like to let a cat go more than ~ 3 days without eating. Once we get higher, I worry about them going into a secondary liver failure called "fatty liver disease" or "hepatic lipidosis." These guys really need a feeding tube placed to be able to get calories into them and reverse the signs. They also need IV fluids to help keep them hydrated.

At home, the only thing you can do is syringe a canned food along with some water and either Pedialyte or Gatorade to get electrolytes into her as well. I would even go with a kitten food or some other high calorie food as it'll take less volume to get the calories into her.

To help with any GI ulcers or GI upset, you can also pick up some Pepcid AC (Famotidine) over the counter. This is good for general GI upset in cats. You can give her 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet orally 1-2 times daily.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Natalia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sassy. How is everything going?