Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

hi my 5 year old cat cannot get up out of her cat bed without

hi
my 5 year old cat cannot get up out of her cat bed without help
she also cannot climb into litter box or jump onto furniture, stairs or anything
i have to lift her up and down the sofa and put her in litter box or she will do it anywhere
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Can she walk normally still, without any abnormalities?

Has your vet examined her for this problem?

Have any xrays been taken of her hips or hind legs?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

at least 2 years

and no x rays have been taken

ive just got some insurance

she can walk but slowly and if another cat passes her she falls over

ive found her stuck in her cat bed every morning unable to lift herself up

and she poo s herself

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

It is hard to tell if the situation you are describing is neurologic or orthopedic in nature and it can sometimes be a challenge to differentiate the two, but it is definitely more than her being lazy!

I would start by having a thorough physical exam performed, including a neurologic evaluation of her nerve reflexes - preferably with a new veterinarian. If there is any spinal issue that is involved, the results of the neurologic evaluation may help to locate the area involved. I would also have xrays of the spine and hips taken. Spinal disorders may or may not be visible on an xray, but if there are degenerative joint disease changes (arthritis), they may be seen. If the symptoms you are seeing are secondary to arthritis, you may be able to help her with medications or supplements that are designed for joint support.

In the meantime, I would not offer her any over the counter pain medications that you may have access to as most are not safe for use in cats and can actually be harmful. If, after an evaluation, it is believed that some of her symptoms are due to pain, safer and more effective medications can be prescribed.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did think of arthritis myself but she s only 5

she also sitd on her knees like a camel and nods her head when sitting

she puts one leg out to the side when eating and sometimes has trouble bending over to eat

when i exam her paws and claws she cries out

could it be arthritis?

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, arthritis can occur at any age and can effect not only the long bones or the joints, but also the spine. If she is crying out, it would more likely support pain and that could indicate possible arthritis.
Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. I truly appreciate it.