Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 28 years

My cat has had an URI for a few months now. She has been on

Customer Question

My cat has had an URI for a few months now. She has been on antibiotics for 2 months(the pink liquid and the white liquid that goes in the fridge) her runny eyes and nose cleared up for a while but she still had congestion in her nose which made it difficult to breath. Her breathing difficulties have been consistent throughout the months. It's also very loud. Her runny eyes and nose are back and her breathing is still the same. I have also been giving her nose drops and lysine chews. She is eating and drinking but I feel like her eating has decreased because she doesn't want treats like she usually does but I do see her eating he regular food(she hasn't lost weight). We have a 2nd cat who is fine and hasn't gotten sick. I have been to the vet 3 times. Just not sure what else to do. The vet says the her lungs and heart sound fine. She does have bad teeth but they don't seem loose or bothering her since she eats dry food. I can't afford to keep going to the vet but I feel terrible listening to her have trouble breathing. What else should I do? Sex: Female Age : 9 Type of Cat: Calico
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hello JACustomer,
I am sorry to hear about Brookie. Thank you for using Just Answer to ask about her.

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is the discharge out of both nostrils equally? Do you ever see blood in the discharge?

One thing fairly common in cats is a benign inflammatory polyp in the nose. These can be hard to see ( since a cat nose is too small to look up inside). Sometime you can see them sticking out behind the soft palate, in the back of the throat. Usually you have to sedate a cat to get a good enough look. Imaging (Xrays, CT, MRI) can be helpful.

Another test I do in these cats that just keep snuffling is test on the discharge, called a PCR panel. It tests for several infections, and may tell you what you are fighting and how best to treat.

If a course of the antibiotic doxycycline has not been tried, I would. One of the most common nose infections is cats is an organism called Mycoplasma, and the pink and white liquids do not work against it, but doxycycline would.

Please let me know if I can answer or help with anything else./

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for 28 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Jana,
How is Brookie doing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Rebecca,

I called my vet and told her about your suggestion and she had no problem putting her on different meds so Brookie is now on doxycycline. She's been on it for 4 days now. I do feel like I'm seeing her improve a little. Ive seen her eating more and her nose isn't running as much(both nostrils were had discharge coming out but one nostril was a lot worse than the other). It still sounds difficult to breath. She does have moments of relief when she calms down and is sleeping. Her breathing doesn't sound as bed then. But I do notice her breathing out of her mouth a lot.

Jana
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hello Jana,
I am glad to hear Brooke is doing somewhat better.

Open mouth breathing in cats always worries me, however. If she continues to do that, or if it gets worse, you might get a chest Xray to be sure she does not have asthma. Usually with asthma the lungs sound congested or raspy and you did say your vet said her lungs sounded clear, but if she has open mouth breathing for any extended or frequent periods, I would consider a chest Xray

Hope she continues to improve. Thank you for the update. Rebecca
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My vet seems to think she needs to get her teeth worked on. I know that can be expensive which I don't have the money for and I want to make sure that the vet is right and. I guess I just want to make sure that it absolutely is her teeth and she will be better after getting them done. I dont want to do anything unnecessary. In your opinion do you think it could be her teeth from what Ive described? She still eats hard food without an problems it seems like.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
If she has a lot of tartar, and gingivitis, that is a health concern. Bacteria from the mouth and the tartar can pass through inflamed gums (not healthy gums) and get into the blood stream, and cause internal illnesses such as chronic kidney disease, heart disease, etc.

It is also possible that she could have a sinus infection from an infected tooth, since the roots of the teeth extend to the sinuses. So it is possible there is a connection.

No doubt that cleaning her teeth will be good for her health, but it may or may not clear up this problem with her breathing. It certainly would not be money wasted to have her teeth cleaned, but I would not guarantee that this chronic breathing problem would get better after a dental cleaning. The two problems may be unrelated.

Let me know if you have any more questions.