Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My girl is approx 5 or 6, I have had her for 2 yrs and she

My girl is approx 5 or 6, I have had her for 2 yrs and she has been healthy & active. She has been sleeping almost constantly for the last day, she hasn't been using her litter box and isn't eating. She will take a little water and she paws at her mouth, smacks her lips like they will do before coughing up and growls when I pet her for more than just one or two strokes. Her eyes are normal, inner lids are not closing but she acts very tired.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello LaVon, and thanks for requesting me to answer your question about Bella.

I'm assuming Bella is spayed. If not, she may have developed a serious uterine infection called pyometra. Here is more information: Pyometra

If she is spayed, we don't have to worry about this.

From your description of her symptoms, it sounds like Bella may be ill and/or in pain. Not eating, even for a short period of time, can lead to a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. Not drinking, will result in dehydration, which is also very serious. You mentioned she has not used the litterbox, so this may be a result of not eating/drinking, or she may have a urinary or intestinal blockage which can only be diagnosed and treated by the vet.

If Bella is pawing at her mouth, she may have an abscessed tooth, infected gums, sores in her mouth, something stuck on the roof of her mouth or under her tongue, or something stuck between cheek and gum or between teeth. If she likes to play with string-like items like ribbon, sewing thread, dental floss, etc., she may have ingested this and it is wrapped around the back of her tongue. It would be a good idea to try to get a look inside her mouth, but if she is in pain and will not allow you to do this, you don't want to get bitten, so at this point, your next best step is to have her evaluated in person by a vet.

It's also possible that she ingested a toxic or other non-food item, and this is causing her discomfort. She might have chemical or electrical burns inside her mouth or lips if she chewed on something she shouldn't have. If you have any houseplants or flowers, she may have nibbled on those. Many plants are toxic to housecats.

Once she is seen by the vet, she will be diagnosed, treated, and feeling more comfortable. If your regular vet is closed for the day and has no emergency hours, bring her to the nearest ER vet center for assessment and treatment. If you need help finding your nearest ER vet center, I would be happy to help you; just provide your city, state and zipcode.

I hope all will be well with Bella once she is seen by the vet and the cause of her problem is diagnosed and then, treated. Please let me know the vet's findings, if you are able, as I'm concerned for her. Thanks!

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking "Reply" before Rating and if you are satisfied with my answer, please Rate positively. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
These are the things that are in every random answer on google. I was hoping for more from an expert. I would think that there would be more to tell. I could have just applied this money to the vet because that's what you suggest doing anyway.
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, LaVon,

Unfortunately, without an in person vet exam and some lab work, there is very little you can do at home, considering the symptoms Bella is exhibiting. More must be known, in order to treat her in the best possible way.

I will opt out of the question and this will leave it open for other experts to answer.

My only concern is for the good health and well-being of your kitty.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I know, and I apologize, I am just frustrated. The answer was very satisfactory and I will take your advice. Again, I do apologize for being rude to you.

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, LaVon and thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your apology and saying that you found my answer satisfactory.

I know you are frustrated because your furry girl is not feeling well and we've all gone through this. The most important thing is to find out the root of the problem with an in person vet visit and then have it treated.

Please let me know how she's doing after seeing the vet. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience