Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cats left corner of her eye has green dried mucus. Theres

My cats left corner of her eye has green dried mucus. Theres not a lot just a tiny bit.
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Any redness or swelling associated with the eye?

Is she squinting the eye or rubbing it?

Any coughing, sneezing or congestion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No redness or swelling. She is squinting but only when she is purring. Can't tell if she is tired or just relaxed. She isn't rubbing it that I have seen but I heard one or two coughs since she's been with me and that was two weeks ago.

Thanks for the information. It is most likely related to allergies or even a viral infection. If she has had an upper respiratory infection (usually a herpes virus) in the past, it can cause periodic eye problems as well. In fact, it is the most common cause of eye problems in cats. With the squinting, it is possible that there could be an ulcer on the eye. The best thing to do would be to have your vet stain it to see if there is an ulcer. If it is just allergic conjunctivitis, an artificial tears ointment a few times a day may help. You can find that over the counter. In some cases, an anti-inflammatory eye drop may be needed. You can only get this by prescription. If infectious or an ulcer, though, an antibiotic or antiviral (if herpes) eye ointment may work best. I don't see a reason to not try artificial tears first. If getting worse, not looking better in a few days, the eye starts getting more red or swollen, the eye develops a cloudy haze over it or she continues squint it or starts pawing at it; it would be best to have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.