Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi! Ms Candy, What can I use to stop bleeding from a tipped

Hi! Ms Candy, What can I use to stop bleeding from a tipped ear? one of my cats had her ear tipped too deep, more than three weeks ago. There was a stitch which fell out today and I fear it could bleed from the way it looks. I don't have any styptic; also, should I put triple antibio on it for possible infection since it's open?
Hello,I am sorry to hear Ms Coco Rou has you worried.

Have the stitches been in for 3 weeks?

Is there any way you can take a picture and send it to me, if so you can use the paper clip icon on the tool bar
It looks like you may have gone offline so I wanted to send you some information to review when you return. PLease feel free to still send a picture if you would like.

If the ear starts bleeding there are a few things that you can do in a pinch. Either flour or cornstarch will work in the same manner as the styptic powder. if you do not have either then ice may work if she will let you hold it there for a minutes.

If the stitches have been in for more then 7 days then I would not expect to see any bleeding and it really should be healed if this happened 3 weeks ago. It would not hurt to put a small amount of neosporin on the ear 2-3 times per day to help protect and prevent infection.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or would like me to take a look at the ear.
GIve her a good head scratch from me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your info and meow from Ms. Rou for the head scratch. We appreciate your concern and prompt help. I didn't expect you would be availabe tonight! Millie c4c

You are very welcome . I am glad I was still on to help. Tell Ms Rou thank you for the meow Laughing
Hi Millie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ms. Cocoa Rou. How is everything going?