Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

other than renal disease what are possible reasons a cat would

other than renal disease what are possible reasons a cat would be drinking a lot?

There are a few causes of increased thirst (+ urination) in cats:
1. Kidney disease
2. Liver Disease
3. Diabetes
4. Hyperthyroidism
5. Increased blood calcium (due to certain cancers)

Typically we'll run some bloodwork to check the liver/ kidney function, blood glucose and calcium. We'll also send out a thyroid panel to the lab. This should give you your answer as to the cause.

If just the calcium is high, then you have to do some more diagnostics to find the cancer. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. She does have one other problem I forgot to mention- some crusty patches on her skin. had a steroid injection early this year. no fleas. on program. do you think this skin problem could also be indicative of any of the issues you mentioned. she will be very stressed to go to the vet but I am planning to take her back in a few weeks for program. I wouldn't have wondered if she was sick at all except unfortunately had another cat diagnosed with kidney disease who also was drinking a fair bit.

I don't think the skin issue is going to be related.

It is possible that the increased thirst is secondary to the steroid use. If the bloodwork is normal, then that could be the case. Steroids will commonly lead to increased thirst, urination and appetite.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have arranged to take her to the vet next week or as soon as I can catch her! She is a lap cat but not a pickable up cat. The steroid injection was at the beginning of the year and it did appear to help. We are heading toward winter and hopefully less allergies if that is the problem.

Gotcha, well good luck getting her crated and taken in!