Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi, I just took my 5 month old ragdoll kitten to the vet for

Customer Question

Hi, I just took my 5 month old ragdoll kitten to the vet for a vaccination and the vet picked up that she has a heart murmur with the stethoscope. The vet told me it was probably not a huge concern and probably innocent. She could only hear it when she moved certain ways and my kitten was a little edgy. However I'm terrified that it might be something more serious as she is a ragdoll and from what I can tell ragdolls have a propensity for cardiomyopathy?? The vet said to check it again in 6 months but I'm panicking a little. Should I be concerned as she is a ragdoll?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Sorry about the wait.

I wouldn't be too worried either about a murmur in a kitten, especially a pretty low grade murmur.

Cats are one species that can have what we call a physiologic murmur. This means that they only have a murmur when they are stressed. It's not uncommon to hear this in kittens and then never hear it again as they get older. This is why they are not too worried and they just plan to recheck in a month.

If you end up finding a murmur that is increasing with intensity or it's present over the next few months, then I would consider getting an ultrasound of the heart (Echo). The Echo will rule out true heart disease as well as any congenital problems with the heart. The Echo would be done with a veterinary cardiologist. I doubt it'll be needed, but it's worth having a plan in place just in case.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doctor Garry. Should I be more concerned because of her breed or is the chance of heart disease fairly evenly spread amongst all cats? She has been desexed, the vet thinks as she got through that operation without trouble it's a good sign
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Heart disease is more common in the exotic breeds, but I still wouldn't worry at this point. Just keep an eye on it and document if there are any changes in the murmur intensity. If so, get an echo done.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kayla,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi doctor Gary, I took lily for a second opinion appointment and the vet said that from listening to her heart it sounds like it could be a mitral valve problem that would most likely cause her no issues. He then did blood work and she came back with high rdw, high platelets, high reticulocytes and low mcv. Normal rbc. he said this could suggest infection maybe anemia or some sort of parasite in her tummy. However a cardiologist I spoke to said that as she has the murmur at 20 weeks of age and it hasnt gone yet that it could have been present at birth perhaps suggesting a congenital problem.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, well I still think I'd keep a close eye on it and get the echo with a cardiologist if needed in the future.