Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My 11 year old orange Maine Coon male cat has started throwing

My 11 year old orange Maine Coon male cat has started throwing up- a lot. He never got sick it is a big change. He has thrown up twice today, once yesterday, not at all the day before, but on and off for 2 weeks. I thought it was the houseplants, so I put the ones he was nibbling on ( and then immediately yakking up!) outside.
He is a total indoor cat. I am very concerned.

Hello, Ruth and welcome back to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear that Mouse has been throwing up more than usual, lately.

If you know he was nibbling on houseplants, this could be the reason, and I'm glad you removed them, as some plants can be toxic to cats. However, there are many underlying medical conditions that can cause vomiting and here is more information for you to read:

Especially because Mouse is a 'senior', he's more prone to develop diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues and symptoms of these and other conditions include vomiting, so it would be advisable to have him evaluated in person by his vet and a routine senior blood panel run, in addition to a thyroid test.

For the moment, you can ask your vet if Mouse can be given 1/4 tablet regular Pepcid AC daily, and this might help settle his stomach. Excess acid or acid reflux causes nausea, and the Pepcid will help with this. Here is additional information about this over the counter medication: Pepcid AC

It's also possible that he has developed allergies to some components in his food. If his food contains corn, wheat, soy, gluten, dairy products, meat by-products, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, these are common allergens for cats. In addition, some cats become allergic to the protein (meat) source in the food and may need to start on a limited ingredient diet (LID). Several manufacturers make these, with alternative protein and carb sources; Royal Canin and Natural Balance are two that are available either at your vet and/or at your pet supply store. This article written by a veterinarian will be helpful, in its discussion about how we can best feed our cats:

When you bring Mouse to the vet for assessment, bring a fresh fecal sample as well, so it can be analyzed for any evidence of intestinal parasites or other abnormalities.

I hope all will be well with Mouse!

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking "Reply" before rating, and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Kindly rate positively if you found my answer helpful, so I may be credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Best regards,