petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cats ear has been bothering him for a few months now. I

My cats’ ear has been bothering him for a few months now. I really didn’t think much about it because well everyone has itchy ears right? Now I think I made a big mistake. Socks, is one of the sweetest cats I’ve ever seen. He rolls over on his back so we can rub his tummy something I didn’t think cats did until him. He never bites and is very loving. Now if anyone starts to touch his head he cries out and bites them. His ears look fine as far as I can tell. There isn’t any wax build up or black stuff in his ears that would make me think mites, but heck what do I know I’m not a doc. He eats fine and other then his ears seems happy and healthy. We are going in for his yearly next month but his ears seem to be getting worse. Sometimes he will shake his head and cry out in pain. Is there anything I can do for him?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Socks today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

You were very wise not to try to do anything yet and you are right that it is possible to hurt him while you are trying to help him. A cat's ear canal is shaped like an "L" and even if you are not seeing discharge in the parts that you can see, there is a whole other canal past the curve of his ear that is not able to be visualized without the aid of an otoscope.

Ear canal image

The best thing that you can do is to leave it alone until you can have it evaluated by a veterinarian. I would not try to clean the ear or use any sort of swab in the canal as it may push any debris in the lower canal in deeper. Also, without knowing if he has an intact ear drum, you do not want to introduce any liquids into the ear. If he seems painful, I would try to get him in sooner versus later for an exam. I would not offer any over the counter pain meds that you may have as most are not safe for use in cats.

Hopefully, after your vet is able to visualize the entire ear canal, they will be able to better advise you on treatment options.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus! It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with Socks. I hope he finds some relief soon. He sounds like a charmer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for you Time.