DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.

My 18 yr old cat has a runny nose, watery eyes and sneezing.

Customer Question

My 18 yr old cat has a runny nose, watery eyes and sneezing. He is current on all shots but I'm concerned what to give him, medicine wise, that might help. He is eating, but not quite as much as usual.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

DrEllie :

From what you describe, it sounds as though Gizmo could have an upper respiratory infection (URI). Has he ever had these before?

Customer:

Not that I recall.

DrEllie :

Most of time, these are caused by a flare up of a herpes virus that is often latent in the body. These are common at times of stress or when a new cat is introduced into the household.

With it being a virus, most will run its course and go away on its own, however, given Gizmo's age and the fact that he is experiencing a decreased appetite it would be wise to have him checked out by his veterinarian. Most of the time, antibiotics are prescribed to help with any secondary bacterial infections that could be complicating recovery.

Customer:

Can't I purchase the antibiotic and give it to him.

DrEllie :

To my knowledge, there aren't any over the counter antibiotics that would be beneficial in this type of infection, unfortunately.

Below is a link that has some information on upper respiratory infections if you would like...
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=613

Customer:

Its just that I can't currently get him to the vet. My car is in the shop and I don't know how long it will be out of commission.

Customer:

I know I can purchase antibiotics from pet meds buty I don't know which one to purchase or know how much to give.

DrEllie :

Pet Meds should require a prescription for all antibiotics. I apologize that I am unable to give medical advice such as dosages. Are there any mobile veterinarian's in your area that could make a house call? Or possibly a relative or friend that could help get Gizmo in for a check up? I understand the frustration with having a vehicle in the shop and I'm sorry that you have to deal with such a situation

Customer:

I will manage to get him there even if I have to take a cab. I appreciate your advice.

DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience: As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gizmo. How is everything going?

DrEllie