Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience
21393945

I just got a new kitten an American shorthair yesterday. Today

I just got a new kitten an American shorthair yesterday. Today he is walking around the house purring, is he looking for his siblings?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. This behavior could be a result of a number of things. Purring is typically a sign of contentment or affection, but it can also be a sign of mild anxiety. The fact that he is in a new environment does make it possible that he is a little nervous. And yes, he could be looking for his mother or his litter mates. If this is the case, then he should quickly become accustomed to your household. If this is a sign of contentment, this is a good thing. That means he is already adjusted to your household and will probably be a fun loving cat for you. Overall, this behavior does not bother me at all. I hope this helps and gives you peace of mind.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff

ps great name!!!!
Hi Ellen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oats. How is everything going?

Doctor Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He continues to do well but he meows continuously and very loudly when he doesn't see someone in a room and especially at night. Doesn't understand it's time to sleep? He really is a great kitten. I scheduled his 1st vet appt next Fri.

Here is hoping that as he matures, he out grows this behavior, for you sleep's sake.
Jeff