DrEllie
DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.

Hi, This is JB from Canada. My cat (Grisou) had dental surgery

This is JB from Canada. My cat (Grisou) had dental surgery less than 24 hours ago (cleaning + 4 teeth extracted). Took him home 5ish last night. Fed him his usual wet food but he only ate a tiny bit. Same thing again this morning. Other than that, he won't eat what I've been presenting him and walks away. He was restless all night, although he seems to be settling down a bit as I'm writing these lines. His pupils are still dilated and his nose is dry and warm. Is all of the above normal? He was sent home with Metacam. I'm all the more worried since I'm leaving on vacation in a week and wondering if the surgery was a good idea after all...
Category: Cat
Expert:  DrEllie replied 1 year ago.

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

Is it possible for you to tell me what type of anesthesia was used with Grisou? Some anesthetics take longer to make their way out of their system and it can take about 24 hours to recover from the anesthesia.

Is he drinking?

Also, did they do any pre-surgical bloodwork? Did they mention that it was normal?

In addition, with extractions, sometimes there is pain associated with the mouth which causes them to not want to eat right away after surgery.

I would recommend offering some soft food in a couple of hours again. You may even consider adding water to it so that he can lick and swallow it, instead of having to chew.

Customer:

I know they used the mask for the anesthesia. He's not drinking but I've added some water to the tiny bit of food he ate. Yes they did some pre-surgical bloodwork and id not mention any problem

DrEllie :

Thank you for the information. One other thing to consider is that the metacam could also be causing an upset stomach, therefore making him not interested in eating.

Because he is not drinking, you may want to consider contacting Grisou's veterinarian. I would recommend asking for a dose or two of pain medication for him as well as some fluids (Subcutaneous fluids can be given underneath the skin and are then absorbed into the body over the following 1-2 hours). This would at least address any pain and also prevent him from becoming dehydrated due to lack of water intake.

Is there any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer:

no vomiting, no diarrhea... He's not used to drinking at his bowl as I usually add lots of water to his wet food. I just gave him water with a syringe. Isn't Metacam pain medication?

Customer:

(sorry about my English, it is not my native language!)

DrEllie :

Metacam is a pain medication (it is a Non Steroidal Antiinflammatory, NSAID) but in some cats that have a low pain tolerance it is not enough. Usually with my cats that undergo surgery with dental extractions, they are back to their normal selves within 24 hours after the procedure.

(I would have never guessed English isn't your native language....you are doing better than some people that English IS their native language!)

Customer:

Thanks for the compliment! Is the dry nose normal? Dilated pupils?

DrEllie :

Usually I rely more on a rectal temperature than the temp/wetness of the nose. If you can take his temperature it should be around 100.5-101.5 degrees F.

The dilated pupils could still be an effect of the anesthesia but I would expect this to resolve within 24 hours of the anesthesia as well.

How is his attitude? Is he interacting with you or just lying around?

DrEllie :

It is also important to remember that just like people, different animals metabolize medications differently so some could take a little longer to recover from some anesthetics

Customer:

he's cuddly and friendly and following me around the house

DrEllie :

That is good news. If he remains active and seems ok other than not eating, you could give him a little more time to work out of it. I would recommend giving him a little water with the syringe a few times throughout today though.

Customer:

I will. So you don't see anything threatening for him so far? Was I right to go for the surgery? He was supposed to have only one tooth extracted...

Customer:

I think it was stupid of me to go for the extraction one week before my departure for a vacation. But the vet sounded like bad teeth can have disastrous consequences for cats

DrEllie :

If he declines in condition, have him checked out right away. Based on what you have described today, he is just reluctant to eat which could be directly related to the extracted teeth but is not life threatening at this point. Obviously he cannot go days without eating, but I like to believe that he will be feeling better soon and will start eating again.

With dental procedures, it is very hard to assess the health of the teeth in an awake animal. Once they go under anesthesia we can get a better look at the teeth and make a better assessment as to the oral health. It is not uncommon for more extractions to be needed than what was originally thought. Extracting bad teeth is definitely better than leaving them in. It can even lead to kidney failure!

Customer:

Like I said he's eaten a bit since we came back home last night... like two spoonfuls (teaspoons).

Customer:

If things have not improved by tonight or tomorrow morning I'll call my vet

DrEllie :

I think that sounds like a plan. I will be available all day if you have any other issues that arise, please feel free to revisit

Customer:

Thanks. One last question if you don't mind: the effects of anesthesia should wane after 24-36 hours, right?

DrEllie :

Yes, that is an accurate time frame

Customer:

well thanks for your help Doctor

DrEllie :

You are very welcome! Best wishes with Grisou!

Customer:

Have a good day!

DrEllie :

You too!

DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience: As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.