Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience

My cat is 7 years old. I want to let her play outside but

My cat is 7 years old. I want to let her play outside but am not sure if she ever had feline leukemia shots. Is she too old to start on them?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. You can start them at any age. However, the initial shot will need to be boostered one month following the first shot. Then, she will need to be updated every 1-3 years depending on the vaccine brand your vet prefers to use. Your vet may also test her for feline leukemia and feline aids prior to the first shot. Certainly, be aware that some states also require a rabies vaccine. It will also be important to make sure she is protected from parasites that she may be at risk. Your vet will make recommendations based on the region of the country you live in. I hope this this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff