Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience

my cat accidentla ate a valium is she going to be ok

Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. This can be dependent of the dose she ate. If she is a normal sized cat, a 2 or 5 mg tablet will probably not be an issue in the long term. That said you may see some sedation today. Certainly, other side effects such as vomiting, lack of appetite, labored breathing, etc are signs of a possible reaction which can occur in rare instances (this drug tends to be very safe in cats). Another concern is if she is taking any other meds as interactions can occur especially with any anxiety drugs, heart meds, etc. So, in the meantime, you can try to induce vomiting with a tablespoon of oral hydrogen peroxide (which is easier said than done in a cat). If the pill is not produced, keep a close eye on her today. Any reaction other than subtle sedation, is reason to have her checked by a veterinarian. Overall, I expect her to be fine provided the dose was small (less than 5 mg). I hope this helps and gives you peace of mind.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think it was a 10mg pill advise

This is a pretty high dose. I would expect significant sedation. I would try to induce vomiting with the hydrogen peroxide. If that dose not get the pill up, it may be worth a ER vet visit for supportive care until the effects of the valium wear off. I do not expect a long term issue, but having monitored is the safest course of action.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

best way to induce vomiting? thank you for all you help

I would try to give a 1/2-1 tablepoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. This can be rather challenging in a cat, but it may do the job. If you are seeing a pill produce, I would seek veterinary attention. I hope this helps.
Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bela. How is everything going?

Doctor Jeff