Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

A breeder has a kitten Lynx point Siberian that has a sire

A breeder has a kitten Lynx point Siberian that has a sire with FLUTD. He is about 1.5 yr old. The kitten was born in february. He is a male. Should I be concerned about getting him if this is in his lineage. The kitten will be neutered before 6mos of age. Will that keep him from getting FLUTD? I haven't got the kitten yet and the breeder just notified me that the sire will be having surgery and will be removed from breeding. I'm not sure what to do... the breeder is giving the option of backing out.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

There are so many reasons a male cat can have urinary tract issues--environment, food, crystals, etc, etc. None of these problems has been shown to be genetic. But they do happen in quite a few cats. Knowing the father had urinary issues, however, wouldn't prevent me from adopting a kitten.

Customer:

I read that some of the siberians have genetic predisposition to the FLUTD?

Dr. Scarlett :

I admit I don't see many Siberians, but I don't know of any purebred cats that are specifically prone to bladder issues. Purebred cats, in general, tend to have more health problems than your typical "mutt" cat, however.

Dr. Scarlett :

Let me do a little research here.

Customer:

ok I saw that from a Siberian Cat research nonprofit group online.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm still here, just looking something up!

Customer:

ok

Dr. Scarlett :

Nope, not finding anything about purebred cats being more prone to lower urinary tract disease. Here is a short website with more info on FLUTD: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=611 you might find helpful.

Dr. Scarlett :

I think if you do adopt this kitten that when he is 1-2 years old, it would be a good idea to feed him Prescription Diet C/D and make sure he eats both canned and dry food from an early age. Both of those things can be very helpful. Do you know the clinical signs of the sire?

Customer:

ok thank-you. He was having a lot of pain, discomfort and the breeder said they were going to remove his male organs to make him like a female?

Dr. Scarlett :

Hmmm, a perineal urethrostomy sounds pretty drastic unless he was blocked with crystals multiple times. Doing that surgery on a 1.5 year old cat with just the history you are giving me would make me suspect of those breeders.

Customer:

Ok.... Thank you for your input.

Hi Greg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowy. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett