DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  As a licensed veterinarian, I have gained experience in all aspects of animal care and husbandry, not just medical issues.

My cat is heavily pregnant and when she uses her litter tray

My cat is heavily pregnant and when she uses her litter tray she passes diarrhea. Is this normal?

DrEllie :

Hi! My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am here to help answer your questions but please remember that advice and diagnosis over the internet can never replace advice given in person after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of lab work.
Please be patient as some responses can take some time to type out. In addition, please do not forget to rate our interaction after I have answered all of your questions.

How long has Slug been experiencing the diarrhea?

Is Slug up to date on her vaccinations and dewormings?

Slug has been experiencing diarrhea between 3 days to a week.

DrEllie :

Thank you. And when do you expect her to have her kittens?

all vaccinations and deworming has been kept up to date. I believe slug will have her kitten with in the next week or two.

DrEllie :

The diarrhea is not considered a normal finding, however, it has been shown that certain intestinal parasites will lie dormant in the body until right before an animal is about to give birth. The parasites will then emerge and infect the animal so that they can be passed on to the babies (in Slug's case, the kittens) through the placenta and milk. The exact route of transmission is dependent on the specific type of intestinal worm.

It would be in Slug and the kitten's best interest to get in touch with her veterinarian and come up with a deworming plan for the weeks to come. This will also help make the kittens healthier.

Obviously, there could be a different cause for the diarrhea, but the above is something that should be addressed. With a good physical examination and possibly some lab work, Slug's veterinarian would be able to check for other causes of diarrhea at the same time.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX call her vet in the morning.

DrEllie :

Great! He/she will also be able to direct you on which medications are safe for pregnancy. Best of luck!

Hi Lauren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Slug. How is everything going?