Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

I have a 6 month old kitten who has had runny eyes off and

I have a 6 month old kitten who has had runny eyes off and on since i got him on jan 5th. This past week he has not been playing like usual and is breathing very had. He is eating and drinking, is there anything i can do for him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear Novah isn't feeling very well!

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information? Is the discharge from his eyes clear or whitish or is it a different color? Has he been sneezing or have any discharge from his nose? What antibiotics did the vet prescribe? What is the "milky substance" you mentioned in your not?

Dr. Scarlett :

Are you able to take his temperature?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drainage from his eyes is clear and is mostly coming from his right eye. No I cnt take his temp the nurse at the vet even had a difficult time.He has not been sneezing nor is there drainage from his nose. The milky fluid is what they said was in his chest cavity.The antibitic is called Calavmox. He said he did not see any bactria just white blood cells in the fluid

Clavamox is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, but I do worry about that milk substance in his chest cavity. He could have pneumonia, but I would have hoped the Clavamox would have made some improvement in his condition.

I'm more concerned about a disease called FIP--Feline Infectious Peritonitis. There is a "wet" form of this disease that will cause fluid to accumulate in the abdomen and/or chest cavity. It is generally a thick, yellowish fluid, so hopefully not what is going on with Novah. FIP is ultimately fatal. : (

Since he is having difficulty breathing, he does need to be seen by a vet ASAP. If at all possible, I would get him seen by an emergency vet tonight, rather than waiting for your regular vet tomorrow. They may be able to drain some of the fluid from his lungs to allow him to breath better. And if they still think it is pneumonia, then additional antibiotics need to be added to his regime.

Ideally I would have him tested for feline leukemia and feline AIDS (FeLV and FIV), as both of those viral diseases can lower the immune system and make it harder to fight off diseases. Additional bloodwork to see if the white blood cells in his blood are increased (which would indicate an infection or inflammation of some kind), and to look at the protein levels in his blood (high protein levels go along with FIP, which is somewhat difficult to diagnose).

Does he feel warm to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the vet mentioned the FIP also, how long does Novah have, is he or will he be in pain

If it is FIP and he already has a lot of fluid in his chest, I'm afraid his prognosis is very grave. Truthfully, if it is FIP, I would recommend humane euthanasia tonight--he is definitely suffering because he can't breathe well--he may feel like he's drowning. Frown There is no real treatment for FIP, particularly the wet form, and once diagnosed the kitties don't live very long. It is a horrible disease and I hate seeing it.

Here is a good website with more information: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=681
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Novah. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Novah is still hanging in there. Sometimes it is hard to believe he is this sick. He is not eating hardly anything at all and barely drinking water and is getting thin. I think I should probably call and have him put down, i don't want him to suffer. It is hard though, he is still right there to meet me at the door, jumps up in my lap everytime i sit down, follows me around. To sleep somtimes he tries to do it sitting up, he is breathing hard. I realize it is not going to get better so i need to do the right thing for him. Thank you for asking. Sue

Thanks for the update. I know it is hard to make any decision when they seem to be doing well sometimes. But monitor his breathing--when he can't do those things he wants to do anymore, then you will know it is time.