Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year
13977145

My cat has noticeable fleas and flea dirt on his skin. Ive

My cat has noticeable fleas and flea dirt on his skin. I've shampooed him several times every 3-4 days, flea coller is on, and he has flea medicine on the back of his neck. I've vaccummed every few days as well and everything that they have had contact with. What else can I do to kill them?

Dr. Brian :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

Dr. Brian :

Is Peanut your only pet?

Dr. Brian :

What product have you been applying to the back of the neck?

Customer:

No I have another cat too and I've done the same thing with him. I've also noticed he his chewing off large clumps of his skin and has noticeable bald spots on his skin.

Customer:

Frontline I just started using that though.

Dr. Brian :

Thanks,

Dr. Brian :

Fleas control involves killing the fleas on the pet and all other pets in the household, control of fleas in the environment and prevention of new fleas from re-infesting after your hard work. You are already well on your way to being successful with your efforts.

Customer:

With the Frontline on his neck that means I shouldn't have to shampoo them anymore correct? Also if I continue to vaccum every few days and wash everything they come into contact with that should continue to get rid of them?

Dr. Brian :

For flea control on your pets, Frontline is an excellent choice. These pour-on products have revolutionized flea control and our success rates. The important points are to be sure the product is applied directly to the skin and not just on the to of the fur, and to continue applying the product every month for several months, if not year around, to prevent re-infestation. Be sure to treat all pets.

Customer:

Ok, so I'm doing everything that I possibly can correct? There is nothing more to do?

Dr. Brian :

The shampooing is helpful initially to wash off fleas eggs that are loosely laid on the cat. This will fall off when the cat jumps down or uses stairs, so these are areas to focus on when vacuuming. The Frontline is waterproof, so the shampoo will not interefere but the action of the shampoo is only when it is on the cat, there is no residual effect. I would leave the flea shampoo on the cat for about 5 minutes if possible to improve flea killing as you need contact time with the chemical to kill the fleas.

Dr. Brian :

I am also a fan of flea combs to comb out and remove fleas.

Dr. Brian :

Some fleas collars are helpful, but many are not all that effective, and with everything else you are doing they probably aren't adding that much.

Dr. Brian :

The final product to consider is an environmental fogger. These are a bit old school in that they went out of favor with the introduction of pour-on products but by spraying the carpets and washing the cat bedding you can again knock down the flea population. Look for a product with a growth regulator in it to kill more stages of the fleas life cycle.

Dr. Brian :

Finally, if you live in an apartment or similar structure where hallways or areas are shared by othe pets, those regions near your door can be sprayed to reduce flea invasion.

Dr. Brian :

I am attaching a great article on fleas control to help you further:

Dr. Brian :

Did that answer your questions, or can I help you further?

Customer:

Nope that was what I needed to know today.

Dr. Brian :

Great. I really think the Frontline will make a huge difference, be patient and keep applying the product each month.

Customer:

Ok, thanks again. Just seems that the botXXXXX XXXXXne is patience

Dr. Brian :

I know, been there myself with fleas.

Dr. Brian :

Thanks fou using Just Answer.

Hi Audrey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?

Dr. Brian