Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Sunshine, (who is now 18 lbs after the meticam issue a few

Sunshine, (who is now 18 lbs after the meticam issue a few weeks ago) has been doing well, but for the past 2-3 days has doubled his water consumption. Normally drinking 8oz/day, peeing 2-3xs, is drinking over 16oz, peeing 4-5 times.
He now eats in a day 1/2 cup EVO crunchies and 1/2 cup Natural Balance crunchies and drinks the gravy from a Wellness packet (he doesnt eat the morsels).
He eats crunchies and licks up gravy from wet food, he leaves the morsels and usually will not eat blended food. He also likes the water from a can of tuna, but doesnot eat the tuna :)
Is there concern about the water consumption?
And can you suggest a dry food that is high in nutrition?
many thanks, Carrie
Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, let me get some background information, because I do not have access to the previous question you had asked about Sunshine. What was the "Metacam issue"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 weeks ago Sunshine had a slight limp for a couple days, on a nail trim visit the vet also decided to give him a 2.5 mg shot of meticam. he experienced toxic poisening, vomiting, then couldnt eat and drink, lathargic. When he started drinking water a few days later I gave him water with electrolytes and slowly he started eating again. I talked to another vet on answer while it was going on.

Okay. Has he had blood work checked since that time? I am concerned because Metacam can potentially cause kidney failure, and drinking more and urinating more can be signs of kidney failure. Any recent blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I won't bring him back to the original vet and I tried another vet office, only to be in the waiting room for 35min, then they told the 6 of us sitting there the reason for the delay was a contagious pet was just there and had to section off areas, at that Sunshine and I promptly left.
I'll find another vet and get his bloodwork done.

In your opinion can one dose of meticam be enough to cause kidney failure?

I would get blood work done right away. Every cat has a different sensitivity to Metacam, and one injection is sometimes enough to cause a kidney issue. I am very concerned about this, and if I were you, I would go as soon as possible, because these things can be reversible if treated aggressively from the start. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I may, what types of treatments do vets suggest if there is evidence of a kidney problem? What do you suggest to a patient in your care?

One more thing, he passed gas two nights ago for the first time. Just once, but I thought it odd since he has never done it in the past.

I appreciate your time and counsel Dr Ann.

The best treatment for kidney failure, if that is indeed the problem, is aggressive IV fluids. Increase in kidney enzymes is also associated with decreased clearing of gastrin from the body, which can cause stomach upset. That could potentially cause gas. Best of luck with your kitty!