Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Is 10 mg. of valium an acceptable dose for a 15 lb. 10 year

Customer Question

Is 10 mg. of valium an acceptable dose for a 15 lb. 10 year old cat? The purpose is to relieve anxiety for a veterinary visit?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

For anxiety in cats, I would usually give 0.1-0.2 mg per kg of Valium (0.05-0.1 mg per lb). That would be ~ 0.25 - 0.75 mg. I would go up to 0.5 mg per kg (3-4 mg) for seizures.

I would crush the 10 mg tab and mix it with 10 mL 10 mL (2 teaspoons) of water. You can then give 0.25-0.75 mL of the mixture as needed for anxiety.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you; on Friday we were told to administer a 10 mg. tablet at noon for a 2 PM vet appointment. It did not help with the anxiety and now, Sunday night, our cat is still showing ill effects from the drug. He is listless, sleeping all the time, has a vacant stare, is not purring, is still having some trouble controlling the muscles in his hindquarters and tail, though this is much better than it was. He is not interested in playing, sleeping for hours on end, doing odd things like drinking in the bathtub from a little puddle of water that is collecting from faucet drip; he never did this before. Is there anything we can do? Has he been over medicated?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
10 mg is a pretty heavy dose. That may take a good couple days to wear off completely.There is a reversal drug, but it's a little late for that now. I would just ride out the signs at home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Can you provide any insight as to how long it should take? We are now about 60 hours beyond when he received the drug.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It usually takes ~ 12-24 hours, but a heavy dose like that could take up to 2-3 days to wear off completely. It's definitely longer than I'd expect at this point, but I'd give it one more night.

If he's still not right in the morning, I would get him seen by your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your prompt and thoughtful responses. I have been beside myself for the last 1 1/2 days, not understanding what was going on with him. I finally began to research on line and became concerned about the dosage, so I checked the bottle and was dumbstruck to see that it was 10 mg. That sounded so high based on what I was reading everywhere. I will proceed as you suggest. I understand that this is long distance and you are not seeing my pet, but if you have any reassurance to offer along the lines that he will probably be okay and it will just take more time, I would be grateful and might try to get some sleep.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Valium is a very safe medication, I would expect him to be ok even if he was given multiple 10 mg tabs. True toxic reactions to this drug are rare.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the information and reassurance.

Your name kind of grabs my attention.

In mid Nov. we lost our other cat. He was 20 years 6 months old and we loved him dearly. It has been a very painful experience; there has not been a day since, that I have not missed him. His name was Gary. Furthermore, our young son is quite imaginative and created voices for our cats long ago. He sometimes conducted humorous "conversations" between Barry and Gary in their different voices; one frequent scenario was that Barry went to see Dr. Gary for medical advice because Gary always seemed more astute about things.

Thank you again for your help and good night.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome... and that's funny with the Barry and Gary- I like it!

One of our techs here has a Dachshund named Gary, it can get interesting trying to figure out who she's talking about at times. "Put Gary back in his cage"... which one?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lesley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barry. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the follow-up. Though I was encouraged by your comments and the fact that he seemed slightly better Monday, it really took until today (Wed.) for him to seemingly be back to himself. I am just hoping there is no long term damage due to the studies that seem to be out there about Valium and liver damage; I know he only had one dose, but it was clearly way to large a dose for him.

- Lesley

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Wow, that did take quite a while. I'm glad he's back to normal now. I wouldn't worry about liver damage with one dose. Valium is a very safe medication.