Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
10679819

The neighbors cat is limping barely putting rt front foot down>He

Customer Question

The neighbors cat is limping barely putting rt front foot down>He is 10months, 14 lbs ,outdoors alot, climb trees ,male looks like the cat in the picture on this website. He spends most of his time at my house. I just got home from a trip he came limping over I drove him to his house. They just had a baby she said they know it has been going on for 2 days. They are casual to say the least she was out smoking in between breast feeding if that gives you some insight. I am a lawyer and I know it is not my cat but i don't like him suffering at my door. Can he have a baby aspirin or anything?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hinson : Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.
Dr. Hinson : I appreciate your concern for the cat but he CANNOT have aspirin. Aspirin will kill him.
Dr. Hinson : Cats do not handle NSAID medications very well, even the ones that are made for animals. He really needs to see a vet.
Dr. Hinson : The leg could be broken or he may have an abscess/infection and needs antibiotics.
Dr. Hinson : Would you be willing to take him to a vet?
Customer:

I agree with you and I won't give him anything would an absecess show on the outside he does not have anything visible. I never owned a cat if I can talk them into letting me take him to a vet and pay how does he have to go on a lease in a carrier.

Customer:

sorry for the leach typo

Dr. Hinson : Is the leg swollen?
Customer:

I think yes in comparison to the other and he winces if I touch it gently . He is used to me he comes over for brushings and cat massages. I can pick him up no problem.

Dr. Hinson : If it is swollen it is either infected or broken. It could be sprained or dislocated as well but those are less likley.
Dr. Hinson : I would see if they will let you take him to a vet.
Dr. Hinson : He would need to go in a carrier.
Dr. Hinson : Cats don't do leashes well unless they are trained to them.
Customer:

He climbs tress and jumps off from about 6 feet maybe he outsmarted himself. At what point can i intervene or when would it be better if he did not break it.

Dr. Hinson : If there is an infection and it doesn't get treated he may get septic (his blood stream infected) and die or his leg may become gangrenous. If it is broken it likely won't heal without surgery or at least a cast.
Dr. Hinson : If the leg isn't broken now it would be a bad idea for him to be jumping around or he may break it.
Customer:

ok just what I needed. I will try to take him tomorrow if they let me . Thank you for your time. I wish I had a kitty xray machine.

Dr. Hinson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Butters. How is everything going?

Dr. Hinson