Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My cat was straining to pee and there was blood in the urine

My cat was straining to pee and there was blood in the urine so I took her a vet 2 nights ago where they gave her a shot of Convenia. She seemed to do well after the 24 hour mark but isnt using her litter box and her urine is dark now. Is this normal as the antibiotic kills off the bacteria making her slightly dehydrated or should I be concerned?

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

When you say that her urine is dark...do you mean that it looks dark brown? Dark red? Or dark yellow?

Customer:

The most recent urination (on the bathroom rug) was a dak yellow

Dr. K :

Is she eating and drinking?

Customer:

Yes, she's already on a special diet of dry food for urinary tract issues and she's eating all the food I put out for her, she's drinking water and I just put out some wet food in the hopes it'll help with the water loss and she gobbled that up too

Dr. K :

Is this food a prescription diet from the veterinarian?

Customer:

Yes it is

Dr. K :

Does she have a history of intermittent bloody urine?

Customer:

I only adopted her from her previous owners 5 months ago but I know she has had a history of UTIs but this is the first time since I've had her that she's gotten an infection. The vet I took her to 2 nights ago gave her a shot of Convenia

Dr. K :

What is the name of the prescription diet?

Customer:

Medi Cal Urinary S/O

Dr. K :

Urinary tract infections in cats are actually quite rare. Cats that have repetative bouts of bloody urine are usually suffering from a different problem called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, or FLUTD. It is also sometimes just referred to as FUS or Idiopathic cystitis.

Dr. K :

The shot of Convenia was an antibiotic shot that has the sole purpose of killing bacteria. It is not going to dehydrate the cat.

Dr. K :

The reason a cat's urine would be very dark yellow, is that it is very concentrated. This happens when they are not really drinking a lot of water.

Dr. K :

I would encourage your cat to drink by frequently replenishing the bowl with fresh, cool water, and also feeding canned food.

Dr. K :

If this was a simple UTI that was responsive to antibiotics, I would expect her to be normal after 48 hours of receiving the shot.

Dr. K :

If she is not normal, then it is more likely that this is not a UTI.

Dr. K :

FLUTD is something that cats struggle with their entire lives, and they remain on prescription diets to try to minimize the number of flare ups of the disease.

Dr. K :

I have a handout that I use in my practice that discusses more about FLUTD. I am going to attach it here for you to read...

Customer:

It's only been about 36 hours since she was given the shot, there's no more blood in her urine it's just that dark yellow so I should continue to replenish her water and give her wet food and monitor her for the day to see if she improves?

Dr. K :

Click Here

Dr. K :

Yes...as long as she has no blood in her urine, is passing urine, is eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal...I would continue with this plan.

Dr. K :

If her urine becomes bloody again, or starts to look like a dark brown color...then you should go to the vet.

Customer:

And is there anything I can do to make sure she's using her litter box and not trying to pee on the carpet/bathroom rug?

Dr. K :

The best that you can do is put out several litter boxes in different locations throughout your home. Cats that have the FLUTD problem are often in pain when they urinate during these flare ups. If they experience this pain while in the litter box, they often then associate the box with the pain and avoid the box. If you offer multiple boxes, she may then just choose the new box, and avoid the box with which she associates the painful incident.

Customer:

Oh okay that makes sense. One last thing; she hasn't pooped since I took her to the vet, is this a stress thing that would constipate her?

Dr. K :

Sometimes change in routine or illness can cause a slow down in bowel movements. As long as she is not straining to defecate...then this is ok.

Dr. K :

It is not technically constipation, unless she is straining and unable to produce the BM.

Dr. K :

Again, encouraging increased water intake..especially through the use of moist food instead of dry...will help with both of these issues.

Customer:

She`s not straining at all and isn`t crying. Thanks I`ll use all your suggestions and hopefully she`ll be back to her normal self soon.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with her, and hope that she feels better soon!

Customer:

Thanks so much!

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today. :-)