Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

i have a 9 year old cat who is usually mellow. she is a sweet

i have a 9 year old cat who is usually mellow. she is a sweet loving cat. however the past couple of days to a week she has been meowing to get out into the living room. i let her out and she still has not stopped. its kinda like a distress cry but not really. she is driving me crazy. i have always heard that if there is a change in behavior then there is probably something wrong. should i take her to the vet?

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Have you noticed any increase in her level of thirst lately?

Customer:

no everything seems to be the same except for the constant crying. that is what is frustrating. i dont know what to do. my oldest cat shows me what she want but drew doesnt. this seems to be different. 9 years and now she crys alot. i am about to rip my hair out.

Dr. K :

What time of day does this crying occur?

Customer:

about 5 in the morning till i go to work at 7. then when i get home about 5:30 to 8. then she finally calms down. she does take breaks for a little bit during those times but it is still alot. i cant say during the day when i am not home.

Dr. K :

Has anything about the home environment recently changed? Addition of a new pet or person? Change of home? Construction work?

Customer:

i have thought about that to but nothing has changed

Dr. K :

There are a number of different things that can cause a cat to become more vocal. There are certain underlying medical conditions that have excessive vocalization as a symptom. These include any problems that are causing pain or discomfort, hyperthyroidism, and cognitive dysfunction (senility). I would say your cat is a bit young for cognitive dysfunction, but it is not impossible. Sexual behavior can cause excessive vocalization, but if your kitty has been spayed, then this is not likely.

Dr. K :

So, the first thing to do is to have her in to the vet for a physical examination and some blood and urine laboratory tests. If all looks okay, and any medical reason for the vocalization is ruled out, then behavioral reasons can be pursued.

Customer:

ok thanks. i was thinking about taking her to the vet but wasnt sure. you have helped. thank you again headed to the vet now.

Dr. K :

You are very welcome. :-)

Dr. K :

I wish you the best of luck with drewbear!

Hi Stacy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Drewbear. How is everything going?

Dr. K