Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Need low phosphorus commercial cat food

Can you suggest some low phosphorus commercial cat food? I feed her what is available in the market, fancy feast salmon, sheba Tuna, snappy Tom, freskies Bff tuna and chicken

Hello.

The commercial diets are all pretty similar in protein and phosphorous amounts and bio-availability.

Ideally you should have her on a kidney diet like Hill's K/D or Purina NF. These are the two diets that actually have sufficient phos restrictions and protein restrictions.

If you are going to feed a commercial diet, then it's less important on the type and more important on what she will eat. I would then add a phosphorous binder like Aluminum Hydroxide to the diet as that will bring the Phos down to a more "kidney friendly" level.

Feeding a canned diet is also helpful to increase water intake and in turn blood flow to the kidneys.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,thank you for your answer ,she is already on the phos binder , does holistic food or food made from natural ingredients contain less phosphorus ?

I am sorry Dr Gary is offline.

Not all holistic or natural foods are low phosphorus so unfortunately you can not go by that.

There are two nonprescription foods that we do recommend for renal failure cats that will not eat the prescription diets. Both of these foods are low phosphorus and low sodium

These two foods are Weruva Click here and Merrick Click here
Use the canned foods only not the dry.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer