Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery
9480295

9 month ago I married and joined my 14 year old cat with my

9 month ago I married and joined my 14 year old cat with my husbands 2 year old kitty and 5 year old cat. My cat Is very neurotic, other than me she hates people and come to find out hates other cats too. She has been an indoor only cat - NEVER goes outside. My husbands cats go in and out all the time. My cat stalks them and attacks them, she even stalks and attacks my husband. We have tried everything and I mean everything including but not limited to prozac. We have given her a room to herself so there is now peace in the house. When the girls are outside we allow my girl to roam free. However, Friday she decided that she would uninate all over my husbands bathroom and clothes, she has done something similar to this when she has been upset with me for being gone on vacation or simpley gave her the wrong kind of treat as I said she is psyco. Today she decided that crapping on the diningroom table was OK. Her litter box is clean the other cats cannot even get to it, we have not changed her diet nor have we been gone for any length of time. I am at my witts end any suggestions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb and you have a difficult problem, maybe I can offer some help.

Dr. Deb :

I am going to switch this to the Q and A mode, If you respond I will be able to answer you directly in this format, .I hope to connect soon,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

didnt get any info

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I wanted to make contact and get some information first. I wanted to know what you have already tried? Fel-o-way? any herbals? what behavior modification exactly. It is difficult to give advice without knowing the details. Again, sorry for your disappointment. I will be off line for a bit but you are welcome to continue this discussion and I will check back later this afternoon/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so took Molly to her dr. AGAIN! now she suggests trying vallium (because all the other medications didn't alter her behavior) to just medicate her. She also suggested building her an ouside enclosure and putting her in it during the day so she can get her aggresions out without disturbing anything or accupuncher. She also suggested putting her down - REALLY! No she is not terminal just mean. I need to find another answer.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
there is a product called fel-i-way, It is a cat pheromone that will help induce calm in stressed cats. I used to spray it in exam rooms before cats went in that had a history of being stressed and difficult.

here is a website http://www.feliway.com/us The best way to use it is as a diffuser, A device that plugs into the wall and it releases a low level of this pheromone constantly. For cats that are stressed about other cats or who are urinating inappropriately this has really helped in many cases. I like the safe enclosure outdoors but worry that that cat may become more stressed and have worse behavior when back in the house, It may work, but it may not.

I would try the feliway before valium. Valium can be a good drug in these circumstances but there is a risk of liver disease also, There is another product called Rescue Remedy- this would only be available in natural pharmacy or herbal stores. I have had some luck with this in thunder or car phobias in dogs. It is safe to use in cats. Here is a link to that treatment
http://cats.about.com/od/stressanxietyincats/tp/NaturalRemedies.htm

While you are trying to reduce stress I would keep the cats apart. Sometimes it can be useful to close them in separate rooms or parts of the house and then switch them. This gets each cat more accustomed to the others scent without having them actually have to face each other.

There are cat behavioral veterinarian who see animals with behavior problems and would have more suggestions, if I knew where you were I could do a search for someone in your area. Your veterinarian should know someone you can be referred to that is nearby.

I hope this helps some. I would be happy to continue this conversation and address any other concerns you may have, so don't hesitate to write back to me.
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Have you had any luck? What did you decide to try? I hope things have improved maybe a little. You are welcome to leave me an update or any further questions you may have. It was a pleasure talking with you and I do hope you were able to help the cats at least tolerate each other.