Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA

My cat has lost his voice but not his purr

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

The purr is controlled by nerves that innervate the diaphragm muscle.

The voice is controlled by the "voice box" located in the throat.

There are a number of things that can cause a loss of voice in a cat. You most likely will have to take him to the vet for a diagnosis if the voice does not return in the next day or so.

1. A viral infection by causative agents such as the feline herpes virus or feline calici virus. These can cause inflammation of the throat and produce a laryngitis. You may, or may not, see other upper respiratory signs with these viruses as well. Bacterial infections can produce similar signs.

2. A foreign body could be stuck in the throat.

3. There could be a polyp, or a mass, in the throat.

4. Laryngeal paralysis which could be caused by a problem with the nerves signals going to that area or due to inflammation.

5. Too much talking. An example of this would be if a new cat kept showing up outside the window and your cat kept telling it to get lost.

6. Hyperthyroidism

7. Hyopkalemia which means low blood potassium

So if he is not better in a day or so, he needs to go to the vet for further testing.

If he does not have a sensitive stomach, give him a little warm chicken broth and see if that soothes his throat.

A spoonful of vanilla ice cream might help as well. I am talking a teaspoon not a scoop : )