Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My kittens have fleas and are 4 weeks old today. What can

My kittens have fleas and are 4 weeks old today. What can I use to either put on momma cat or kittens to relieve them of the fleas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I am so sorry to hear momma and kitten have a flea problem

Until the kittens reach 6 weeks of age you are limited on what you can use. The first thing I would suggest is bathing mom and the kittens with dawn dish soap. This will kill all live fleas and is completely safe. After bathing dry well and use a flea or human lice comb to remove any dead fleas and the flea eggs. You will want to comb them daily until you are able to use flea preventions.

You can also ask your vet about using Capstar. This a pill that works to kill all live fleas with in 30 minutes. This is safe for kittens over 4 weeks as well.
Click here for more on Capstar

I would not use any over the counter flea preventions or shampoo at this point as they can be toxic to young kittens. Bathing and combing should help you keep this under control until the are old enough to receive proper flea prevention.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions