Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Can I get a mild sleeping pill for my cat; it wakes me up at

Can I get a mild sleeping pill for my cat; it wakes me up at 12:30. 3:30 an 5:15 religiously every night.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

How old is your boy?
How long has he been waking you up?
Does he meow, howl or do other things?
What does he eat and what time is his dinner?
Indoor kitty?
Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He's approximately 15 years old. He has been waking me up for approx 18 months, since his brother died. He mostly howls and then some meows. He eats dry food, people food, wet food (any brand from the supermarket) - he becomes bored easily with the wet food, I'm not sure what to buy anymore. He usually has wet food twice a day (early morning and dinner time); his dry food is out all day, he can eat it whenever he feels like. And yes, he is an indoor kitty.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am very sorry for your loss of his brother.

Cats grieve just like people so he probably gets a little lonely at night.

He seeks you out because YOU are now his safety net.

I am so sorry you are having this and the howling problem.Hyperthyroid can be the cause but so can hearing loss.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyperthyroidism.html

Older cats experience confusion but it is usually related to hearing or other sensory loss.When an older cat begins howling at night it is almost always associated with hearing loss. The cat is not totally deaf but his hearing is reduced and his own voice sounds so DIFFERENT to him he will go around howling so he can test the tonal quality of his voice much like hearing impaired humans speak loudly or nasal.

There are several things you can do. Play a radio softly at night so he does not "hear" so much quiet. Leave a soft light on so he does not "see" so much darkness. Get some feliway plug ins as these will calm him down, he can get very anxious at night. You can get them at some pet supplies or http://www.catfaeries.com/

Older cats suffer from other diminished senses as well. Loss of sight, smell and hearing can cause confusion and disorientation. This is quite disturbing to your baby Kitty dementia is quite common at this age too.

There are vet scripted drugs like anapril that can be very helpful for dementia and sleep aids as well but.you want to try homeopaths first, get rescue remedy at a pet supply or products at:

http://www.onynaturlpetstore.com/

http://www.nativeremedies.com/

Feed him a canned food meal with turkey as it contains l-triptophan and is sleep inducing.

The fact that your baby is alive and well at his age is a tribute to you and the remarkable care you have given him .May God bless both of you.

Try these suggestions and you can enjoy his old age in peace - and quiet.

Please let me know if you still have questions. I will always be here for you and your baby

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to pay you only a one time fee of $38.00. I cannot afford a monthly membership fee. Is that ok?
Expert:  Terri replied 4 years ago.

That would be fine!

It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

I will always be here for you at no additional charge after you press accept.

Very fondly,

Terri