Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat has a runny nose? What can I do about that. Also, my

Customer Question

My cat has a runny nose? What can I do about that.
Also, my cat keep itching, what is a good remedy against fleas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

Any sneezing or discharge from the eyes?

Where did you get her?

Does she go outside?

Is she eating and drinking normally?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.
I see you went offline so I wanted to give you some information to review when you return.

The most common reason for runny noses are
* Herpes Virus
* Upper respiratory infection
* Dental disease
* Foreign object in the nose
* Bacterial or fungal infection in the nasal cavity
If she is eating and drinking normally you can try giving L lysine . This can be purchased at most pet stores and health food stores. 500mgs per day for 7 days then 250mgs per day as a supplement.
Click here for this product

You can also use saline nose drops. We recommend little noses for infants. 2-3 drops in each side of the nose twice daily.

If she stops eating or seems to decline in any way I would have her seen by your vet to be sure this is not an upper respiratory infection

For fleas I would recommend Revolution . This not only protects against fleas but also heartworms, mange mites, ear mites, and intestinal worms.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions
Candy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, Candy

Yes, but cat eats and drinks normally. She has average amount of discharge fro her eye - just the regular things in the inner corner that I wipe every other day or so. She does sneaze occasianlly - I haven't heard it yesterday, but the day before she did a few times while I was home. She is an indoor cat, however we took let her out in the backyard for a few minutes (5-10max) the last couple of days.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.
Good if she is eating and drinking then it sounds like this could be either a herpes flair up or allergies and nothing serious like an upper respiratory.

I would try the lysine and do the nose drops for 3-4 days and see if this helps.

I think the easiest way to give the Lysine is in treat form and they do have treats that have 500mgs per treat so just one a day is all that is needed . These are good to give everyday even if there is not a problem. This is just an amino acid that helps support the immune system.
Here are the treats we recommend
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is this herpes a concern for people? Is it contagious - I have a small kid and don't know enough about it.

-Thanks
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry I have you worried. No the Herpes virus that cats get can not be passed to humans this is a cat specific strain so please do not worry.
Click here for additional information about feline herpes