CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I am weaning my cat off prednisone right now. He is currently

I am weaning my cat off prednisone right now. He is currently on 5 mg every other day for another couple of days. It went well the first 3 days, but today he is not doing well. He's lethargic. Moving slowly, almost like he's a little 'drunk'. HE was taking the pred for allergies. I worry because he has a heart murmur. He is probably 12 or 13 years old. He also lost 1/2 lb last week. In every other way he's been healthy. 5 months ago had senior well cat blood tests and all looked well. Is it normal for a cat to get a little off during a wean? Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Typically - no.

CriticalCareVet :

I would not expect looking drunk from a slow wean of steroids, especially when several days into the every other day phase.

Customer:

What else might be going on?

CriticalCareVet :

It can be vestibular disease, a low blood sugar, liver disease, hypertension, or other causes.

CriticalCareVet :

EVEN if this was expected I would have you see your veterinarian for evaluation.

Customer:

not at all related to the sterioids? He was fine before starting them last week.

CriticalCareVet :

Since I do not expect this to be related, even more I would have him evaluated by your veterinarian today.

CriticalCareVet :

No - it would not be expected.

CriticalCareVet :

While lethargy can be from anything - looking wobbly/drunk would not be expected with a steroid wean such as this.

Customer:

He will still purr when being pet, but doesn't want to move from his bed.

CriticalCareVet :

-Since I do not expect this to be related, even more I would have him evaluated by your veterinarian today.

Customer:

He drank a lot of water an hour ago, had two pee lumps in his box overnight, but didn't eat much food. Low blood sugar?

Customer:

Hasn't pooped in 24 hours

CriticalCareVet :

I would have him seen by your vet today.

CriticalCareVet :

This is concerning.

Customer:

I'll take him in. His regular vet is off today which bothers me. I'll call now. Thank you.

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.

CriticalCareVet :

good luck

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.