Can I get a little more information? So no more vomiting since switching back to canned food? Any diarrhea? Any weight loss recently? Any change in how much he's been drinking/urinating in the last few months? Is he lethargic?
Sure..he vomiting during the day when I was out but it was just a little bit....I think again he was hungry and got into the other cats' dry food (we have two). He is still drinking/eating.urinating the same. He eats a lot as he has a thyroid problem..was diagnosed last year and gets methamazole 2x/day.
So the vomiting could be due to a food sensitivity from the dry food, it could be that his thyroid level is creeping up again out of normal, or that he is developing kidney failure. The kidneys are probably ok, just because you haven't noticed any increase in his drinking, but it is still a consideration.
Since the vomiting seemed to start with the change in food, I'm going to guess that it is just gastroenteritis from eating a food that didn't agree with him. I would definitely pull up that dry food (can you feed both cats the same thing?) and maybe not feed him for 12 hours after his last vomiting. That would allow his GI system to "rest".
Yes, the vomiting did occur right with the change in food -- and Purina cat chow is probably rough on his system...my boyfriend feeds his cats that and I feed my two the Wellness wet formula and dry food..I can try to separate them for the next 12 hours to give his GI system rest. I think it is irritated from the vomiting and stress on his system. (maybe causing the slight bleeding?) The reason I haven't taken him to the vet is again, he is very nervous and agitated and would rather spare him the anxiety and stress, which would not be good for his system, but if it keeps it up, will take him in.
If he continues to vomit, then you'll need to take him to the vet. Sometimes spraying the carrier with Feliway (a pheromone or scent that is calming to cats), can help with the agitation. Leaving the carrier out in plain sight so it isn't a threatening place can also make a cat adjust better--they start to see the carrier as a "safe" place, rather than a scary "go to the vet" place. Obstruction is another possibility, since the vomiting came on fairly suddenly. So x-rays and bloodwork will likely be done. But hopefully it is just a diet-related problem that will resolve on its own. The pink/blood could very well just be due to inflammation from vomiting.
Okay, thank you. I will try Feliway if I need to take him in...often I need to give him an anti-anxiety med (he's that skittish). Hopefully the elimination diet may give his tummy a rest but how long should I wait until taking him in? If it persists until tomorrow or if he displays signs of lethargy, etc? Thanks again for your advice!
If he vomits after eating food, then I would probably take him in. Definitely if he is getting lethargic, stops wanting to eat, vomits up after drinking water, or just seems to be getting worse.
Thanks so much Dr. Scarlett.
You're welcome. Let me know how he does!