CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my cat has not eaten or drank in the last 4 days. she only

my cat has not eaten or drank in the last 4 days. she only wants to lay down.
she has not used the litter box except to urinate once per day.she doesn't like to walk and seems to have discomfort in her back end. she has not vomited and is alert
Submitted: 4 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is she an indoor only cat?

CriticalCareVet :

CriticalCareVet :

At all - even a little or NO food at all over this time?

indoor cat

has not eaten at all or drank

indoor cat. has not eaten or drank at all

CriticalCareVet :

There are many reasons why a cat will not eat - some as simple as general stomach upset or a viral infection, not uncommon in cats - but there can be more serious problems such as organ issues (kidney or liver) or even a blockage in the intestines.

If the signs continue, I would recommend going to the veterinarian for an evaluation.

The reason we become concerned with a history such as this is that cats that do not eat, regardless of the underlying cause - can get secondary liver problems, (fatty liver disease - medical term for this is hepatic lipidosis) LINK HERE

Bloodwork such as a chemistry panel (LINK HERE) is very important to start with in these cases.

In these cases we try to keep them hydrated and improve nutrition.

Options considered include:

- Small amounts of water or diluted pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes (LINK HERE).

- A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical (LINK HERE)

- Another option would be baby food. This should not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.

If there is no underlying cause for the signs reported following evaluation and testing, other therapy to speak to your veterinarian about would be an appetite stimulant:

Options would include:

1) Remeron (LINK HERE)

2) Cyproheptadine (LINK HERE)

But in these cases, having this evaluated and being proactive is important as the secondary liver changes from not eating, regardless of the true, underlying cause can be as bad as the possible underlying cause itself.

I hope this information is helpful!

Find me any time if needed: You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site