Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my cat has these sores on his chin. I thought he had been

my cat has these sores on his chin. I thought he had been in a fight and had a scratch that had scabbed. the scab fell off and leaving a bald patch of skin. then the next day he started to bleed slightly and then anothe sore appeared, scabbed, fell off and then moved again and started in a new spot. its all on his chin.

what does he have? do i have to take him to a vet he is terrified to go in the car.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : It is possible that your cat is suffering from a condition called Cat Acne. This typically occurs under the chin and can sometimes produce quite dramatic looking lesions. It is rarely a serious condition though.

Feline Acne is a relatively common disease and mainly occurs in the chin area though in some cases it can affect the upper and lower lips as well. The main signs that you see are blackheads and spots and abscesses, while this condition is ugly to look at it rarely affects the cat. This condition occurs in all ages of cats, and is generally regarded as a trivial disease although the odd case may be secondary to immunosuppression.

Here is a link to a photo I took at my clinic of this condition : LINK

Mild cases may actually require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo. More severe case would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia wash once a week, and very severe cases where there is a deep pyoderma [ skin infection ] may be put on a course of antibiotics in addition to the wash.

This is a condition which responds well to treatment but recurrence is likely in some cases.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Vet Answer Vet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the picture looks like the end result after the sore is gone. is there a change to his diet required?
Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you some more ...

Over the years I have never managed to connect Cat Acne to diet, I think there is no real reason you can pin down, just one of these things really.

Good thing is it is rarely anything to worry about ...

Regards,

Vet Answers Vet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you so much, it is a relief to know its not anything serious.

one more question...how will I know if its infected and in need of antibiotics? he and I would like to avoid the car ride into the vet office...he throws up and loses a lot of fur when he goes on a road trip!

Hello again,

If he needs antibiotics then it will have an infected abscessed appearance { these are just large spots really } More minor infections may sometimes be cleared up by using a medicated wash three or four times a week. Consider something like Hibiscrub at a 1 : 4 dilution. you can pick this up at your chemist or the likes of Neosporin cream.

Good luck,

Vet Answers Vet.