ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

I have a 15 year old cat who has just started to walk funny

I have a 15 year old cat who has just started to 'walk funny' as in her back legs don't seem to be doing what she wants them to. She's eating fine but did have a bowl movement on the floor, I think because she couldn't walk to her box two rooms away.
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble :(

Does she have any medical problems that she is being treated for?

When was the last time she saw her vet and had some blood tests run?

Has she lost weight?

Have you noticed an increase in water consumption and urination?

Any vomiting?

Let me know and i will try to help.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She's taking Dasuquin for joint issues. She has lost weight and IS drinking more.and peeing more. She's covered in scabs which I'm told is from when she had flees months ago.

Not really vomitting. The occasional hair ball. She's on OM food and soft food to get the meds down.
Thank you for the additional information. The problems you are seeing with the back legs can be due to the existing arthritis.......but there may be an additional problem to blame. Combined with the weight loss, increased urination and increased water consumption, I am concerned your kitty may have an illness. At the top of my list would be something like Diabetes, kidney disease or hyperthyroidism, though there are many things that could be going on. The only way to know for sure is to have your kitty seen by her vet for an exam and some tests. Your vet may decide it's necessary to run blood tests, a urinalysis and maybe even take some x-rays, depending on what the physical exam findings are. It is important to realize that cats instinctually hide signs of illness, and since you are seeing obvious symptoms your kitty might be in advanced stages of an illness. This does not mean she cannot be helped, it just means that time is of the essence. While it is true that some of these ailments cannot be cured, they can be managed (to a degree) and it is possible that your kitty could have a considerable amount of good quality time ahead of her. Having her seen now can mean the difference between having to hospitalize her vs some simple out patient treatments. Until you can have her seen, keep her comfortable and make sure she is eating and taking her medicines. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck with your kitty :)