Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat had developed a black spot on one side of her nose.

My cat had developed a black spot on one side of her nose. She has also been doing a lot of sneezing, I have noticed. Now it appears it may be spreading to the other side of her nose. She has been eating and drinking. Normal playing at night with the other cat also. She has had a discolored eye for a long time but the vet said not to worry about it. I am on a fixed income, so please prepare me for what lies ahead.

Tnank You for your time <3

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear abou this concern.

Dr. Andy :

The black spot is of less concern unless it gets larger or raised.

Dr. Andy :

The focus right now should be on the sneezing, as it may be exacerbating the spots you are seeing.

Dr. Andy :

What you are describing sounds like a feline upper respiratory infection. In addition, this can often be exacerbated by an underlying viral condition like herpes. Typically, I would expect one or any combination of the following symptoms with a respiratory infection:

- sneezing

- coughing

- loss of appetite

- nasal and/or eye discharge

- squinting and eye inflammation

<a href="" target="_blank">Upper Respiratory Infection

Ideally, it is very important to get into a veterinary for antibiotics to treat the infection, and to ensure there is no other underlying explanation including problems like allergies, cancer, or a nasal foreign body.

Common antibiotics that would be prescribed by your veterinarian could include:

<a href="" target="_blank">Doxycycline

<a href="" target="_blank">Zithromax

Supplements for feline upper respiratory infections:

- Saline nasal drops can be used two to three times daily to help keep mucus build up loose so it can be sneezed out or broken down

<a href="" target="_blank">Nasal Drops

<a href="" target="_blank">Supplement for URI

Lysine supplementation is very important when an underlying viral condition is suspected as the primary cause. Lysine prevents viral replication, allowing the immune system to help fight off infection. Two very popular examples of lysine supplements:

<a href="" target="_blank">Viralys

<a href="" target="_blank">Enisyl-F

Dr. Andy :

So, initially, you may need some antibiotics and possibly the lysine supplement.

Dr. Andy :

The vet will need to see these black spots. It's possible they may suggest a biopsy of the skin if they are concerned it is tumor related, but I would not worry about that just yet.

Dr. Andy :

Focus on the exam first.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

_____________________________ ________________________________

If there is something I have not covered, just let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: