Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat appears to have diarrhea. Her fur is matted with feces

My cat appears to have diarrhea. Her fur is matted with feces underneath her tail. I've tried to clean her up, but have not been 100% successful. Her anus & 'vagina' are red and inflamed. What are other steps I might take at home to clean her up so the inflammation can heal?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 years ago.

RebeccaVet :

Hi JACustomer,

RebeccaVet :

Sorry to hear about your cat.

RebeccaVet :

Is she a long haired cat?

RebeccaVet :

The way I treat these cats at the office is to use clippers (not scissors) to remove the stool that is caught up in all the hair. It is nearly impossible to just wash off all the stool.

RebeccaVet :

Then, once I get rid of the whole matted mess, I apply an ointment to the skin that contains hydrocortisone, like Cortaid ( or at work, Animax). But it won't get to the skin until you get the matted hair and feces removed.

RebeccaVet :

You would be surprised how often I see cat and dogs with this problem. Usually the cats are long haired breeds.

RebeccaVet :

If the soft stool/diarrhea persists, she may need to be treated for that as well.

Customer:

No she isn't a long haired cat, but she has extremely thick fur. I don't have clippers at home and I can

Customer:

I can't really afford to take to her to the vet.

RebeccaVet :

Probiotics made for cats, like Fortiflora or Probiable can help.

Customer:

okay

RebeccaVet :

Then maybe you can find a groomer with clippers. You just can't use scissors.

RebeccaVet :

It is incredibly easy to cut through cat skin with scissors.

Customer:

I had considered using scissors, but I hadn't tried it because she's in so much discomfort.

RebeccaVet :

If taking her to a vet or groomer for help is out, all you can do is keep washing and cleaning. Try soaking her bottom by making her sit in a pan of warm water.

RebeccaVet :

Please please don't use scissors. You could end up taking her to a vet to get her stitched up. I have seen this dozens of times.

Customer:

I'll try... :-) She's not particularly cooperative. I WON'T use scissors.

RebeccaVet :

If anyone could lend you some clippers, they work really well.

Customer:

okay

RebeccaVet :

I hope things work out for you and for her.

Customer:

thank you. I do have a challenge controlling her to try to help her, but I will try. Perhaps warm towels or cloths will work. What happens as far as pay goes, if I am happy with your assistance?

RebeccaVet :

If you are happy with my advice, please just hit the Accept button. Then the website will credit me.

RebeccaVet :

I so wish I could help you more; this is so easy in my office, with my technician to hold her. Takes about 5 minutes.

RebeccaVet :

I hope with time, patience, and warm soapy water you get this off her.

Customer:

Will it only be the $19.00 deposit? I'm sorry to keep worrying about the money, I hope you understand.

Customer:

I wish you could help me too. ;-) Do I have access to the information once I accept your advice?

RebeccaVet :

I don't know much about how the website works, but I am pretty sure that if you hit accept, your deposit goes to the website, and then they credit me.

Customer:

ok.

RebeccaVet :

You should be able to access it in your email. Often people get back to me later with an update or more questions, so they don't seem to have trouble keeping the information.

RebeccaVet :

Sorry; I am just a veterinarian and don't know much about computers and websites.

RebeccaVet :

Happy New Year, Rebecca

Customer:

tha \

Customer:

oops

RebeccaVet :

Oops?

Customer:

thank you for your time. I may be back in touch.

RebeccaVet :

You are welcome!

Customer:

typing error... I hit enter by mistake.

RebeccaVet :

I do that all the time.

Customer:

Thanks again. Have a good evening & Happy New Year.

RebeccaVet :

You, too.