Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat acts Like he has something stuck in his throat and when

My cat acts Like he has something stuck in his throat and when he piles it comes out clear and foamy. Does he need immediate vet attention?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Yes, I do truly believe that this warrants more immediate care. Keep in mind, I am already making that decision, and I have not even asked about your pet's age or how long this has been going on.

My primary concerns for causes would include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Although not easy to give cats pills, you can give a ¼ tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid up to every 12 hours.

Also, with each vomiting episode, it can cause further damage (ulceration) to the stomach and the esophagus.

Yes, I vote for more immediate examination.

Good Luck

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: