CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat has a burst cyst or abscess on her back; she seems to

My cat has a burst cyst or abscess on her back; she seems to be in no pain, but it *is* a running sore. How should I treat it until I can get her to the vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

It is also recommended to clean the area itself.

If possible, shaving with clippers (not scissors) is recommended to remove hair and debris from around the area. Please do not use scissors as you can accidentally cut the skin.

Other recommendations we consider then are the use of antibacterial shampoo products. (
EXAMPLE HERE) - often not to bathe the entire body, but to scrub the local area with a moist towel for example.

If there is licking at the area, getting an e-collar from the pet store is also recommended to prevent further self-trauma. The E-collar should be used until the skin is healed which may take 7-10 days.

Once cleaned, some veterinarians also use certain sprays such as gentocin or even topical neosporin. - Animax can be considered as well. (
EXAMPLE here)

I hope the above information is helpful in making your cat feel better!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet