Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA

cat: ate a small piece of lucky bamboo (probably 1/4 inch)

My cat ate a small piece of lucky bamboo (probably 1/4 inch) : is there anything i should do and if she is going to get sick it how long would it take ?? its been 2 hours and she seems fine ty

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Lucky bamboo can cause gastrointestinal signs including vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. I would think you would be seeing something by now. The signs should resolve in 24 -48 hours. There should not be any tong term side effects from ingestion.

1/4 an inch is not very much so hopefully you will not see any signs.

Is she vomits, or has diarrhea, withhold food until it stops. You can give water unless she is vomiting. If she is vomiting, then withhold water too.

Then once she is not vomiting, you can gradually reintroduce water.

Then you can offer her small amounts of a bland diet consisting of plain chicken and plain white rice.

You can also give her 1/4 of a pepcid ac tablet, every 12 hours, to settle her stomach.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would you recommend i give her 1/4 of a pepsid anyway to thwart off any possible upsets or dont do anything unless she has a sympton

thank you very much

Yes, giving her 1/4 of a pepcid ac will definitely not hurt her. It can only help.

You can give a dose every 12 hours as needed.

You are very welcome : )

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have regular strength tums or Maalox anti-acides tablets would 1/4 of those be ok or pepsid only ? ty i just want to be sure what im about to give her is safe ty
No, both of those can cause acid rebound where the acid is reduced and then the stomach thinks it needs to make more. The pepcid actually turns the acid pumps off. So it has to be pepcid. Sorry if it is a pain to go to the store.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not a patin at all - ty im glad i asked i have acid reflux myself and take nexium and zantec i know there is a difference im just not clear what it diff is ty again
You are very welcome!