Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cat is sick with a runny nose and alot of green mucus..

My cat is sick with a runny nose and alot of green mucus.. she is struggling to breath and it is scaring me. Is she going to be okay?

If there is any labored breathing, then I would go to an ER vet tonight. Labored breathing in cats is one the main reasons why cats will dye as the lungs are their shock organs.

Hopefully this is just an upper respiratory infection and some antibiotics will do the trick. If it's pneumonia, then he'll likely need to be hospitalized until he's oxygenating more normally.

In the mean time, you can try putting saline drops in the nostrils and run a hot shower to let the steam break up some of the congestion.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She just sounds really congested when she breathes and it sounds horrible. Right now shes fine but shell just go throught those little spells. I found her outside lastnight and it was really cold so i dont know if maybe that has something to do with it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SHe just sounds really congested when she breaths it sounds horrible right now shes doing okay but shell just go through those lil spells.. i found her outside last night and it was really cold so i dont know if maybe that has something to do with it
Ok thanks, that sounds more like an upper respiratory infection- try the steam and nasal saline drops, that should help until you get her on some antibiotics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks you have been very helpful.. i just have one more question im sorry. I know the antibiotics can cost alot right? if i cant get her on some is there a chance shell get better on her own?
The antibiotics + exam shouldn't be much more than 50-75 at a day clinic. They're not too terribly expensive.

If you do nothing, there is a good chance it'll run it's course over 1-2 weeks and resolve on it's own. In that case, I'd pick up some Lysine over the counter at a human drug store and give 500 mg twice daily for a week. This has some anti-viral activity as many of these are due to viral infections.