Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

cat: gave my..wet food (..her meds, then her ear medicine..threw

I just gave my cat, some wet food (as prescribed by vet) then about 20-30 minutes later her meds, then her ear medicine, (which seems to go go straight t her throat)..then she threw everything up.

Should Ear solution go straight down the throat?

By the way, the anesthetized her last week (really quickly) and her throat hasn't been the same since...she clenches her jaws where she did not do that before they intubated her...but that was over a week ago...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 2 years ago.

Hello:

If the ear anatomy is normal, ear medication should stay in the ear. If she is having a reaction such as you are thinking the meds are going to her throat - she may have a ruptured ear drum letting the medication leak down further. I would definitely have concerns about this and withhold the treatment until your vet can look at the eardrum.

Please let me know if you have more questions,

Dr. Debbie

Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience: Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she does have a ruptured ear drum...she only has 1/3 left...they say she needs a TECA and I keep hoping I can medicate it...

I am pretty worried about the throat problem though...she should not still be in pain after a week of being intubated should she?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh, I see. That explains it. I'm sure they prescribed something that is safe in this situation. Sometimes, especially in a small animal like a cat, the eardrum can heal. But only 1/3 left will be difficult.

Irritation from being intubated should only last 24 to 48 hours. It sounds like something else is going on with the throat. You should take her in first thing Monday morning for them to look at her. I don't think what you are describing is from the anesthesia or intubation.

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate it...the 3rd opinion vet...just decided to sedate her to suction out stuff in her ear last thursday, do you think she sucked somethign out she wasn't suppose to?
Honestly, I'm not sure. All that stuff is connected when the eardrum is ruptured. It could be related to the medications or the original problem with the ear. It is kind of odd that it only happened after the anesthesia, though.
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian